An Afghan security forces member stands guard at the site of a blast in Kabul, Afghanistan on Thursday. Mohammad Ismail/ Reuters
A car bomb apparently targeted at a convoy of vehicles belonging to an international organization exploded in Kabul on Friday, killing or wounding at least seven people, officials said, the second attack in the Afghan capital in two days.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, which came a day after militant group Daesh claimed a suicide attack outside a military training academy that killed at least six people.
“It was a suicide attack that targeted foreigners,” said one security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, because he was not authorised to speak publicly.
He said four residents of Kabul had been killed by the blast, which damaged the SUV-type vehicles in the convoy, and there were casualties among the foreigners.
The explosion, which sent a plume of white smoke into the sky, occurred on the busy Jalalabad road in the city's east, an area with several large security compounds which has seen repeated attacks over the years.
Kabul has been on high alert with security checkpoints reinforced in recent days.
Villagers searched for the bodies of their loved ones on Saturday in the rubble of a mosque in eastern Afghanistan that collapsed in a blast during Friday prayers, killing 70 people including dozens of children, officials said.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation,MoFAIC, affirmed in a statement that the UAE expresses its utter condemnation of this criminal act and rejects all forms of violence and terrorism that destabilise security and stability while undermining all religious and humanitarian principles.
Five employees of the ministry of mines and petroleum were killed and 10 wounded in the bus attack, the officials said, adding that seven people were killed and more than 20 wounded in the second explosion.
"Considering the problems of overseas Pakistanis it has been decided that the first flight would land at Islamabad International Airport on April 4. All passengers will be sent in quarantine and tested for COVID-19. Those tested negative will be sent home through special arrangement of transport," Asad Umar said.
The announcement comes amid uncertainty over the Hajj which is due to take place at the end of July, after authorities this week urged Muslims to temporarily defer preparations for the annual pilgrimage.
The Philippines' department of foreign affairs expressed its "deep sadness" at the passing of Bernardita Catalla, which it said was the result of "complications arising from Covid 19".
The Ministry of Education said the decision was taken as part of preventative and precautionary measures against the spread of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, with the aim of protecting the health of students and the general public.