Judge orders psychiatric test for Christchurch shooting suspect
New Zealand’s Royal Commission inquiry into deadly shooting attacks on two Christchurch mosques would report back to the government
People charged with possessing or distributing the video of a gunman's deadly rampage at two New Zealand mosques last month have been getting death threats, local media reported on Tuesday.
New Zealand’s major media outlets vowed on Wednesday to prevent the man charged with the Christchurch mosque shooting from using his trial as a platform for extremist propaganda.
Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O'Driscoll denied bail on Monday to businessman Philip Arps, 44, and an 18-year-old suspect who both were taken into custody last month.
Outside the Al Noor mosque, dozens of leather-clad bikers from the Tu Tangata club performed a traditional Maori haka. They were welcomed by mosque imam Gamal Fouda, who said people of all beliefs and cultures were stopping to pay their respects, and they were all united as New Zealanders.
It follows a ban on military-style semi-automatic rifles and a nationwide gun buyback enacted shortly after the March 2019 killing spree by Australian national Brenton Tarrant, a self-avowed white supremacist.
"I want the world to know who Atta Elayyan was," said 27-year-old Farah Talal, dressed in a green djellaba robe and an elegant white scarf during her visit to Islam's holiest city.
A lone gunman used a semi-automatic gun to kill worshippers gathered for Friday prayers at two mosques in the city of Christchurch on March 15 last year in New Zealand's worst peace-time shooting.