Thousands of protesters rallied outside the army's headquarters in the capital on Sunday for a second day calling on the military to back them in demands that President Omar Al Bashir resign as police fired tear gas to disperse them.
"There are gunshots in Nile Street and around the sit-in and we are seeing several wounded," said Mohamed Dahab, a volunteer at a field clinic at the protest camp outside army headquarters in central Khartoum
Sudanese army rulers and protest leaders on Wednesday agreed on a three-year transition period for transferring power to a full civilian administration, even as negotiations over a new sovereign ruling body remain unfinished.
Saudi Arabia announced on Sunday it deposited $250 million in Sudan’s central bank as part of a support package for the country following the overthrow of longtime leader Omar Al Bashir.
Sudan’s opposition alliance on Thursday said the ruling military council’s suspension of talks with protesters for 72 hours was a “regrettable decision.” The opposition alliance, known as the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces (DFCF),
Sudanese protest leaders raised the pressure on the country’s army rulers on Wednesday, threatening a general strike and calling for a million-strong march to demand a civilian government.
Sudan’s ruling military council restarted talks late on Sunday with an alliance of protest and opposition groups that is pushing for a civilian-led transition to democracy.
Both sides have been at loggerheads over the new governing body that would rule Sudan for a three-year transitional period after the ouster last month of longtime autocrat Omar Al Bashir.
The latest discussions were launched on Sunday evening following pressure from world powers to install a civilian-led governing body — a key demand of demonstrators.
Protest leaders had reached agreement with the ruling military council on the other main aspects of the transition.