Protesters march against the coup in Dawei, Myanmar, on Thursday. Reuters
Thousands of pro-democracy activists took to the streets in Myanmar on Thursday, according to witnesses and social media posts.
Street protests were held in the commercial capital Yangon, the central city of Monywa and several other towns, a day after a nationwide silent strike saw businesses shut and people stay at home in protest against the military coup in the Southeast Asian country.
Meanwhile, the United States is planning to impose sanctions on two conglomerates controlled by Myanmar's military over the generals Feb. 1 coup and a deadly crackdown, two sources familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.
The move by the US Treasury to blacklist Myanmar Economic Corporation (MEC) and Myanma Economic Holdings Ltd (MEHL) and freeze any assets they hold in the United States could come as early as Thursday, sources said.
Responding to a request for comment, MEHL general manager Hla Myo said in an email to Reuters: "The company is basically focusing on business and has no immediate response for now."
A demonstrator speaks using a bullhorn during a protest against the coup in Dawei, Myanmar. Reuters
Myanmar police broke up a street demonstration in the city of Mawlamyine and arrested 20 people, the Hinthar Media Corp said. At least two people were injured but there were no other reports immediately of casualties elsewhere.
Nant Khi Phyu Aye, one of the those on the street, said many of the protesters were youngsters. "They want to protest every day without skipping one day," she told Reuters.
"Are we united? Yes we are," protesters shouted in Monywa. "The revolution must prevail."
At least 286 people have been killed as security forces resorted to lethal force as they tried to quell weeks of unrest since the Feb. 1 coup, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) activist group.
In a sign of growing international pressure, the United States is planning to impose sanctions on two conglomerates controlled by Myanmar's military, sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.
Wednesday's silent strike left normally bustling areas of commercial hubs like Yangon and Monywa virtually deserted.
This photo shows the view of the street during a silent strike against the coup in Dawei, Myanmar on Wednesday. Reuters
While the scale of the street protests had been dropping in recent days, activists have called for big demonstrations on Thursday.
"The strongest storm comes after the silence," protest leader Ei Thinzar Maung said in a social media post.
Candle-lit vigils took place across the country again overnight, photographs on social media showed.
In Thanlyin on the outskirts of Yangon, protesters held up placards reading: "We don't accept military coup", while medical staff wearing white coats held a dawn march in the second city of Mandalay.
Five more people were wounded overnight in Mandalay, Myanmar's second city, Myanmar Now media outlet reported.
A 16-year-old man later died after being shot in the back, the outlet said.
The funeral of a seven-year-old girl killed on Tuesday, the youngest known victim of the crackdown, took place on Wednesday in Mandalay.A spokesman for the military, which said on Tuesday 164 protesters had been killed, did not answer calls seeking comment.
The images ricochet across the planet, as so many do in this dizzying era of film it, upload it, tell it to the world: scenes from a protest-turned-government crackdown, captured at ground level by smartphone users on the streets of Myanmar.
Big article about the power of the smartphone in reporting the world’s issues, the highlight of the article being the coup in Myanmar (“Chilling smartphone imagery stuns a watching world,” Mar.20, Gulf Today). But the article, while it extols the power
Protesting alone outside an Australian hospital where the son of Myanmar’s attorney general works as a doctor, Burmese electrical engineer Susu San is determined to let the military junta know their children will be hounded wherever they go.
Guterres was the only candidate nominated by a UN member state, his home country Portugal where he previously served as prime minister, and the country’s current president, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, was in the assembly chamber to watch the event.
Rooms and others parts of each floors were already prepared in a factory and later each part was transported to the site on trucks.
The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has announced that it conducted 253,077 additional COVID-19 tests and detected 1,942 new coronavirus cases.
For the public’s convenience, the committee announced that it has temporarily suspended the use of green pass on Alhosn app to enter all announced areas. This comes into effect from Friday (June 18) June and continues until the app is updated.