An aerial view of the Palm Jumeriah Dubai. File
As Dubai prepares to welcome in the New Year, master developer Nakheel has initiated a raft of measures to manage a potential increase in traffic on Palm Jumeirah on Thursday (Dec.31).
Jumeirah is one of the UAE’s most popular venues for New Year celebrations, and Nakheel is working closely with the Dubai Police, Dubai Municipality and RTA to prioritise safety and convenience, and ensure smooth traffic flow.
Visitors to the island are encouraged to allow plenty of time for journeys, and to use public transport such as The Palm Monorail or taxis, Nakheel said, adding, "Daily discounts to and from The Pointe, home to the recently launched world’s largest fountain, are available with Careem until 1st January 2021, with the code THEPALMFOUNTAIN."
In addition, Nakheel is doubling its usual number of festive season shuttle buses from Nakheel Mall to The Pointe on New Year’s Eve, with free rides from 7 pm to 3 am.
Hotels, retail outlets and restaurants have been asked to schedule catering deliveries early, provide adequate parking and inform their guests to plan their journeys in advance. Food deliveries will be allowed up until 5pm.
Services of third-party contractors, such as moving companies, will be suspended for one day, with no permits issued for 31st December; Pedestrian crossings on the Trunk Road at junction 2 (near Shoreline Apartments Building 5) and junction 4 (Building 10) will close from 9 pm to 1 am on New Year’s Eve. Crossings by Buildings 3 and 7 will be open and manned by security personnel.
All health and safety measures apply at all Nakheel destinations, including The Pointe, Nakheel Mall and Palm West Beach.
Spectacular fireworks in 25 different locations lit up not only the skies, but also the hearts of the people across the country.
Dubai authorities designate places for the public to watch the spectacle, keeping the coronavirus pandemic in mind.
'The metro transported a billion and a half people in 10 years...'
The Centre also confirmed that it is following the situation around the clock and would continue brief the public on the latest developments, calling on the public, road users and motorists to exercise precautions when driving during rain, and to avoid nearing surface runoffs and pools of rainwater. It also appealed to members of the society to follow the bulletins and reports issued by the NCM and not to circulate rumors.
The multi-millionaire ex-Chancellor and his wife Akshata Murty were last year granted planning permission to build a swimming pool, gym and an adjoining tennis court on farmland at the manor house.
Asad Kaleem, an executive producer at ARY, said that the action means that 4,000 employees at the TV are now without work. He pleaded with the government to reverse its decision and bring the hugely popular ARY back on air.