Picture used for illustrative purpose only.
Gulf Today, Staff Reporter
The UAE announced the extension of the National Disinfection Programme till April 5.
Dr Farida Al Hosani, Health Sector’s Spokesperson and Dr Khalid Al Mazrouei, Assistant Under-Secretary for Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation announced 63 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases to 468 in the UAE.
The cases are in a stable condition and are undergoing treatment.
The new cases, who are receiving all necessary medical treatment in UAE medical facilities, belong to various nationalities, including one from each of Kyrgyzstan, Somalia, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria; two from each of Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Nepal; three from each of Egypt; four from Britain; six from Pakistan; eight from UAE, and 30 people from India.
"Hundreds of personnel, supervisors and administrative staff from various federal and local government departments are participating in the National Disinfection Programme. Several regions and utilities have already been sterilized using state-of-the-art technology nationwide over several stages in collaboration with various relevant authorities," she added.
"The decision to extend the sterilisation drive until April 5 aims to ensure coverage of the largest possible number of utilities and establishments nationwide. It will be carried out daily from 8pm until 6am the following morning , and restrictions in the movement of traffic will continue during the this period and resume as normal in daylight."
Dr Al Hosani hailed the public support to the National Disinfection Programme, which entailed a complete sterilization of public facilities, Public transportation and streets across the country.
The National Disinfection Programme will be extended till next Saturday. The public movement and traffic will be constrained and public transportation will be suspended daily from 8:00 pm to 6:00 am, Dr Al Hosani announced.
During the briefing, Dr Al Mazrouei said that UAE citizens who are still abroad are urged to contact the country’s embassies or the ministry’s call center.
The ‘Tawajodi’ service received 29,000 registration requests from UAE residents who are still outside the country, to ease communication and be provided with support, Dr. Al Mazrouei said.
DoH urged the public to rely only on official sources when dealing with all news related to the novel virus.
The evacuees will be received at the newly established Emirates Humanitarian City in the UAE, and will undergo medical testing and monitoring to ensure their health and safety.
The UAE health ministry also announced the death of an Asian with complications from coronavirus, bringing the number of deaths in the country to 11.
Dr Anwar Bin Mohammed Gargash, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, has affirmed the importance of continuing the global fight against Daesh and establishing sustainable partnerships to unite against challenges the world faces.
Brazil has reported more than 34,000 deaths from the virus so far, meaning it surpassed the amount in Italy and trails only the UK and US Experts consider the tally a significant undercount due to insufficient testing.
The city-state has already developed the first-of-its-kind smartphone app to identify and alert people who have interacted with novel coronavirus carriers, but the bluetooth technology has been beset with glitches and the app is not widely used.
Floyd's death last week after a fatal encounter with a police officer has led to nationwide protests. In widely circulated video footage, a white officer was seen kneeling on Floyd's neck as Floyd gasped for air and repeatedly groaned, "I can't breathe," before passing out.