Picture used for illustration.
Sohaila Ahmed, Staff Reporter
The Dubai Public Prosecution referred a gang of 6 Asian, to criminal court for stealing Dhs1.7 million from a customer’s bank account.
It took place when a businessman, client of the bank decided to deposit an amount that exceeds Dhs2 million, and travel for a vacation to his home country for three months. Upon returning he discovered that Dhs1.7 million had been withdrawn from his account.
The customer immediately filed a complaint and the matter was investigated.
Investigations revealed that one of the 6 men was working as an employee in the bank, and he was the one who accessed the bank’s e-system and stole the money. The defendant seemed to have taken advantage of the victim’s absence, and planned the embezzlement with the other five members of the group.
From their side, some members of the gang forged identification documents of the victim and applied for a new SIM card replacement under the victim’s name.
The defendants changed the customer’s phone number, and registered his bank account number. They managed to run online transactions without being detected.
Accordingly, the defendants are charged with leaking of confidential information, forgery, and theft of Dhs1.7 million.
Defendants faced charges of forming and forging documents to embezzle $1.7 million or Dhs6.2 million from bank accounts belonging to a businesswoman, who was a customer of a UAE bank.
The suspect used the authority given to him to convince a client company to write a Dhs500,000 cheque under his name and encashed it.
An Arab businessman, with the help of a Gulf employee, fabricated a seal of a UAE bank and used it to forge a bank guarantee letter for Dhs917,000, which the first defendant used in a real estate construction deal.
'The UAE has decided to renew, from today and for a renewable period of two weeks, the suspension of entry of all foreign nationals holding valid UAE residence visa, in a bid to contain the spread the COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure their safety.
The ministry also announced that 35 cases fully recovered from the virus, after receiving treatment, bringing the total recovered cases to 96.
The Ministry said a 62-year old Asian expat and a 78-year old GCC national who tested positive for COVID-19 died due to complications related to chronic diseases. This brings death toll to eight.
"Considering the problems of overseas Pakistanis it has been decided that the first flight would land at Islamabad International Airport on April 4. All passengers will be sent in quarantine and tested for COVID-19. Those tested negative will be sent home through special arrangement of transport," Asad Umar said.