A man looks at damaged vehicles in front of Indonesia’s Customs and Excise office after a riot in Jayapura, Papua, Indonesia, on Friday. Reuters
Indonesia’s chief security minister on Friday urged calm in the easternmost region of Papua on Friday after two weeks of sometimes violent protests, saying demands from demonstrators for an investigation into racism had been met.
Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Wiranto made the remarks during a joint news conference with several Papuan figures in the capital, Jakarta.
“Why must we kill each other because we’re offended?” Wiranto said.
“Let’s return to calm, return to peace, think about the future where there is no destruction and there is development,” he said.
The government has repeatedly called for calm in Papua, which has been racked by the most serious civil unrest in years, over perceived racial and ethnic discrimination. Some protesters are also demanding a referendum on independence, something Wiranto has ruled out.
More than 1,200 police officers have been flown in to reinforce a region that already has a heavy military presence, due to decades of separatist conflict.
On Wednesday, shooting broke out in the remote town of Deiyai, 500 km (310 miles) from the provincial capital of Jayapura.
Police said one soldier and two civilians were killed during the incident, while a separatist group said six people had been shot dead. The military dismissed that as a hoax.
An internet ban in the entire Papua region since last week has made verifying information difficult.
Wiranto, a retired general, said a “certain party” was taking advantage of the situation to cause chaos and reap the benefit. He did not elaborate.
Based on reports as of Friday morning, the situation in Papua and West Papua provinces was calm, although there were plans for more protests, he said.
The spark for the latest protests was a racist slur against Papuan students, who were hit by tear gas in their dormitory and detained in the city of Surabaya on the main island of Java on Aug.17, Indonesia’s Independence Day, for allegedly desecrating a national flag.
A legal process was underway for two military personnel involved in the Surabaya incident, and police had identified two people suspected of hate speech, who were in a crowd who mobbed the dormitory, Wiranto said.
Speaking alongside the minister, Samuel Tabuni, a Papuan community leader, also urged calm, but called on the government to treat Papuans more fairly.
“Why was law enforcement not been conducted properly? Especially in Surabaya, the legal process started after we demonstrated, but racism has happened for a long time, fueling Papuans anger,” Tabuni said.
Papua and West Papua provinces, the resource-rich western part of the island of New Guinea, were a Dutch colony that was incorporated into Indonesia after a widely criticised UN-backed referendum in 1969.
National police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo dismissed the media report of protesters being killed as "a provocation", adding that only information from the Papuan police can be trusted.
The area has been racked by civil unrest for two weeks over perceived racial and ethnic discrimination. Some protesters are also demanding an independence vote, although authorities have ruled out such a possibility.
Tens of thousands protested across Papua — on the western half of New Guinea island — as anger over racism and fresh calls for self-rule fuelled mass demonstrations and violent clashes with security forces.
Wednesday's incident comes after additional security forces were deployed to restore security in Papua, following a series of sometimes violent demonstrations since August, triggered by concerns over perceived racial and ethnic discrimination.
The first phase testing would take around three months, CSIRO's director of health Rob Grenfell told Reuters, adding that any resulting vaccine would not be available to the public before late next year.
Confirmed coronavirus infections around the world approached one million on Thursday as the pandemic spread at a "near-exponential" rate, with a six-week-old baby becoming one of the youngest known victims.
The Chinese city, Shenzhen has banned consumption of dogs and cats as part of a clampdown on the wildlife trade since the emergence of the novel coronavirus.