Schools record impressive IGCSE, GCSE results - GulfToday

Schools record impressive IGCSE, GCSE results

Wellington-school

Wellington International School Dubai student reacts after receiving the result.

Imran Mojib, Special Correspondent

The long hard slog of study and revision, followed by nail-biting anticipation, is over for the current cohort of students across the UAE as its schools have recorded another successful year of IGCSE and GCSE results after a round of challenging examinations.

GEMS Education schools in the UAE have once again affirmed its ability to raise the bar and attain outstanding results. Across the GEMS network, 357 students achieved the highest ‘9’ grade with 46 per cent of students achieved at least an A* grade across all schools. Of all grades achieved across the GEMS schools, 20 per cent were at A* (9-8) and 67 per cent were A*-B (9-5). Jumeirah College achieved an extraordinary 78 grade 9s and 95 per of grades at A*-B. GEMS Wellington International School reported 89 per cent of grades A*-B. GEMS Wellington Silicon Oasis scored 84 of grades at A*-B and 53 per cent of students achieving a grade 9.

GEMS Wellington Academy students got 82 per cent of grades at A*-B. Wesgreen International School, Sharjah received 75 per cent of grades at A*-B.  GEMS Metropole reported one in five students achieving a grade 9 and 64 per cent of grades at A*-C. The Westminster School Dubai obtained 60 per cent of grades at A*-B. Sir Christopher Stone, Global Chief Education Officer of GEMS Education, congratulated the students upon their outstanding results in both their IGCSE and GCSE Results.

Commenting on the result of St Mary’s Catholic High School, Dubai, Principal Paul Asir Joseph said, “Our students’ attainment for the first batch of results as part of the full suite of 9-1 qualifications is outstanding, and we strongly believe this is because specifications are well-aligned with local requirements. We also believe Results Plus had an important role to play here, is a unique online service from Pearson which is free of charge and one that enables teachers to analyze students’ exam performance. This, in turn, helps teachers modify and improve their teaching and learning strategies.”

The Kings’ School Al Barsha registered a third stellar year of achievement for the school with this year’s GCSE outcomes. The KHDA Outstanding rated school built upon its 2018 success with in excess of 60 per cent  A* to A grades with particularly notable performances in English with 93 per cent A* through B and impressive 100 per cent A* through A grades in history

Other GCSE results highlights included strong results in English with an 85 per cent A* through A grade showing and equally strong performance across all Science disciplines, with an average of 89 per cent A* through B results.

School Principal Rebecca Gray said, “We work to provide a ‘bespoke’ curriculum that allows us to personally tailor the learning journey of each and every child. Each child’s individual starting point is considered and the teachers plan around this to ensure we maintain our exceptionally high results as well as secure success for all.”

Repton School Dubai celebrated outstanding IGCSE results as out of the total 105 students who took the examinations, 31 per cent of exam entries were awarded the maximum A* (9-8), and 51 per cent of entries who achieved A*-A/9-7 grades. Overall, 82 per cent of the examinations taken were graded B/5 or above, exceeding the KHDA‘s benchmark in determining outstanding attainment, which is anything over per cent.

David Cook, Headmaster at Repton School Dubai, said, “We are truly proud of the exceptional IGCSE results that our Year 11 students have achieved and that they can reap the rewards of their conscientiousness and hard work of the past academic year.”

Students at the International School of Creative Science Muwaileh (ISCS Muwaileh) have recorded a set of stellar results.  An analysis of year 11 results displayed an outstanding achievement with an overall 78.08 per cent A* - B rate across all subjects.

Additionally, Year 13 students have similarly attained excellent results with 72 per cent of students receiving grades ranging from A*- B on their A2 Level examinations, and over 83 per cent of total students achieving grades between A*- C. By the conclusion of A2 Level, 100 per cent of the students secured grades of A*- C in Business Studies, Psychology, Arabic and Biology, while results in Chemistry and Physics exceeded international averages.