Saudi Arabia distributes aid among the flood-hit in Yemen - GulfToday

Saudi Arabia distributes aid among the flood-hit in Yemen

Saudi-Aid

KS relief officials set up a tent for a family. Phoro: SPA

King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) has distributed shelter aid to those affected by a flood disaster, through Al-Khair Humanitarian Coalition at Al-Hazm District, in Al-Jawf Governorate, Yemen.

KSrelief distributed a total of 51 tents, 33 rugs and 371 blankets, benefiting 371 people.

The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center’s project for clearing mines in Yemen demined 965 hidden detrimental items during the second week of August 2019, including 15 antipersonnel mines, 458 anti-tank, 490 unexploded ordnance and two explosive devices.

Since the start of the project, 80,951 landmines have been dismantled after they had been planted by Houthi militias, in Yemen, claiming lives, serious injuries or amputation of children, women and the elderly.

Saudi Arabia said a soldier was killed near the country’s southern border with Yemen, where the kingdom has been at war against Houthi rebels for four and a half years.

The state-run Saudi Press Agency reported the death on Monday, providing his name and his rank as a sergeant, but did not disclose how he died or specifically where. The report said burial prayers were conducted in his hometown of Qilwa on Sunday.

Last week, Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Bin Abdul Aziz, the Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense of Saudi Arabia, met in Mina with President Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi of Yemen.

During the meeting, they reviewed the latest developments in Yemen, especially the developments in Aden, the SPA has reported.

Yemeni President Hadi called Monday on people to back his government over southern separatists, who took control of his administration’s de-facto capital of Aden.

Hadi’s statements were made during the first high-level government meeting after fighters of the so-called Security Belt Forces last week ousted loyalists from what was the capital of the formerly independent south, in clashes that left around 40 people dead.

Yemen’s vice president, Ali Mohsen Al-Ahmar, Prime Minister Moeen Abdulmalik Saeed, and both the ministers of interior and defence took part in the meeting in Riyadh.

Yemenis must “stand behind the legitimate leadership and its official state institutions and reject all destructive projects”, Hadi said, according to the official Saba news agency.

He also ordered his government to “continuously convene to deal with the repercussions of this rebellion”, calling on the separatist Southern Transitional Council (STC) to withdraw from positions they have taken over.

Both the STC and government forces have been fighting the Houthi rebels in the years-long war that has pushed the country to the brink of famine.

On Monday, the spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition backing the Yemen government against the rebels, Turki Al-Maliki, said Saudi Arabia and the UAE “succeeded in calming the situation in Aden”.

“We hope that all Yemeni parties in Aden cooperate,” he said during a press conference.

South Yemen was a separate state until it merged with the north in 1990. Four years later, an armed secession bid ended in occupation by northern forces, giving rise to resentments which persists to this day.

The Saudi-led military coalition, which has backed pro-government forces against the Houthi rebels since 2015, sent a delegation to the city on Thursday to discuss the new front in the crisis.

Ambassador of the Republic of Yemen to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Dr. Shaya’e Bin Mohsen Al-Zindani, has condemned the recent terrorist attack on the Shaybah Oil Field in Saudi Arabia.

He considered this terrorist act as a threat to security and stability in the region and to the world energy supplies, affirming the absolute and legitimate right of the Kingdom to take all measures to protect its security and stability.

He also appreciated the Kingdom’s stance and support for the Yemeni people and their legitimate leadership represented by President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi Ambassador Dr Al-Zindani said that such terrorist acts against the Kingdom would increase its determination under the leadership of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and the Crown Prince to support Yemen until the restoration of the legitimate authority of all Yemeni territories and rid of the control of the coup militias, ending Iran’s influence in Yemen and its expansionist ambitions in the region.

The United Arab Emirates has condemned the terrorist attack carried out by Houthi drones on the Shaybah Oil Field in Saudi Arabia.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation strongly condemned the terrorist act, which aims at destabilising security and stability and poses a grave threat to the world’s energy supply.

The UAE reiterated its full solidarity with the Kingdom’s government and people, affirming support of all measures taken by Saudi authorities to secure the country’s security and stability, as well as any actions taken in the face of extremism and terrorism.

Agencies