A Huawei logo is seen outside the fence at its headquarters in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China. File photo/Reuters
China’s Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will need more time to become the world’s largest smartphone maker, a goal it originally aimed to achieve in the fourth quarter of this year, a senior executive said on Tuesday.
“We would have become the largest in the fourth quarter (of this year) but now we feel that this process may take longer,” said Shao Yang, chief strategy officer of Huawei Consumer Business Group, without elaborating on reasons.
Huawei currently sells 500,000 to 600,000 smartphones a day, he said in a speech at the CES Asia technology show in Shanghai.
The comments come after the United States put Huawei on a blacklist last month that barred it from doing business with US companies on security grounds without government approval, prompting some global tech companies to cut ties with the world’s largest telecommunication equipment maker.
The company in January said it could become the world’s biggest-selling smartphone vendor this year even without the US market. It was the second-biggest vendor in the first quarter, behind South Korea’s Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, according to research and advisory firm Gartner.
Analysts estimate the recent US sanctions could push Huawei’s smartphone shipments down as much as a quarter this year and cause its handsets to disappear from overseas markets.
China’s Huawei Technologies, the world’s third-largest smartphone maker, reported a 25 per cent jump in 2018 net profit, buoyed by a solid performance in its home market and a booming smartphone Business.
US FedEx Corp on Friday again apologised and blamed Washington’s ban on Huawei for being “unclear” as Beijing deepened an investigation into why the delivery firm was holding up packages meant for the telecoms equipment maker.
China on Saturday increased tariffs on billions worth of US goods as it prepares to unveil a blacklist of “unreliable” foreign companies that analysts say aims to punish US and foreign firms cutting off supplies to telecoms giant Huawei.
An oft-repeated advice. Yet, due to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the subsequent remote work and school environs, two ophthalmologists and an orthopaedician surgeon have reiterated the need for everyone to relax and take a breather from screens and the television set everyday.
2,437 people had been caught in violation of the precautionary measures in force to limit the spread of the virus, and 2,486 notices were issued against them in 15 days.
During the telephone call, Sheikh Mohamed and Macron discussed ways to enhance bilateral relations and cooperation between the two countries in the best interest of the two sides.