A military vehicle drives during clash in Ain Zara, Tripoli, Libya. File photo/Reuters
Air raids were carried out on Saturday night on the Libyan capital Tripoli, according to the media and residents who heard loud explosions.
The exact locations of the strikes were not known, but the roar of airplanes over the city was accompanied by heavy explosions between 11.00pm and midnight.
"We are hearing sustained, uninterrupted fire" from machine guns and anti-aircraft guns "and occasional air strikes, but we do not know where exactly," a resident of west Tripoli told the media.
"On Facebook, users are saying that you must leave your house if you live near a barracks or a place where armed groups have taken position," she added. "But we are afraid to go out into the street so late at night."
Forces loyal to the UN-recognised government of national unity and fighters under commander Khalifa Haftar, have been engaged in battle for three weeks.
Haftar's forces launched an offensive on April 4 to seize the capital.
After forces loyal to the Tripoli-based government of national unity launched a counter-attack last weekend, the International Committee for the Red Cross warned that residential areas of Tripoli were being turned into battlefields.
At least 278 people have been killed and more than 1,300 wounded in the clashes, according to the World Health Organization.
More than 35,000 people have been forced to flee their homes, according to the United Nations.
Most of the fighting happens on the ground, but there are occasional air raids.
Tripoli claims Haftar's forces have killed and displaced civilians, destroyed property, recruited child soldiers and used heavy artillery and Grad missiles on populated areas.
It has asked the UN to investigate.
Intelligence warnings from abroad alerting to possible attacks by Islamist extremists were ignored ahead of the multiple bombings of churches and upscale hotels on April 21 that killed 253 people and injured nearly 500.
Residents said the car bombs targeted a military unit called Bulahati belonging to the eastern forces of the Libyan National Army (LNA) in the city centre.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, which officials said were carried out by at least seven suicide bombers on three churches and four hotels. About 500 people were also wounded.
Daesh's claim, issued on its AMAQ news agency, came shortly after Sri Lanka said two domestic militant groups, with suspected links to foreign militants, were believed to have been behind the attacks at three churches and four hotels, which wounded about 500 people.
The developments made clear that one of President Donald Trump's rationales for withdrawing troops from Syria was not going to come to pass any time soon. "It's time to bring our soldiers back home," he said Wednesday. But they are not coming home.
Dhaka has long wanted to move 100,000 refugees to the muddy silt islet, saying it would take pressure off the overcrowded border camps where almost a million Rohingya live.
Johnson had previously said he would rather be "dead in a ditch" than ask for any extension to the Oct. 31 deadline.