Kumari Fernando, who lost her husband and two children, yells towards the graves during a mass burial for victims at a cemetery in Negombo on Wednesday. Thomas Peter / Reuters
Sri Lanka’s government on Wednesday acknowledged “major” lapses over its failure to prevent the horrific Easter attacks that killed more than 350 people, despite prior intelligence warnings.
Recriminations have flown since suicide bombers blew themselves up in packed churches and luxury hotels on Sunday, in attacks claimed by the Daesh group.
Overnight, security forces using newly granted powers under the country’s state of emergency arrested 18 more suspects in connection with the attack, as the toll rose to 359.
Police have so far arrested 58 people, all Sri Lankans, and security remains heavy, with bomb squads carrying out several controlled explosions of suspect packages on Wednesday.
But the government faces anger over revelations that specific warnings about an attack went ignored.
Sri Lanka’s police chief issued a warning on April 11 that suicide bombings against “prominent churches” by the local hardliner group National Thowheeth Jama’ath (NTJ) were possible, citing information from a foreign intelligence agency.
CNN reported that Indian intelligence services had passed on “unusually specific” information in the weeks before the attacks, some of it from a Daesh suspect in their custody.
But that information was not shared with the prime minister or other top ministers, the government says.
“It was a major lapse in the sharing of information,” deputy defence minister Ruwan Wijewardene conceded at a press conference on Wednesday.
“The government has to take responsibility.”
President Maithripala Sirisena, who is also defence and law and order minister, pledged on Tuesday to make “major changes in the leadership of the security forces in the next 24 hours”.
“The restructuring of the security forces and the police will be completed within a week,” he said.
He also called an “all party conference” with the country’s political parties for Thursday, and will meet with religious leaders too.
New details emerged about some of the bombers on Wednesday, with Wijewardene saying one had studied in Britain and then did post-graduate studies in Australia before returning to Sri Lanka.
“Most of them are well-educated and come from middle, upper-middle class families, so they are financially quite independent and their families are quite stable financially, that is a worrying factor in this,” the minister added.
And chilling CCTV footage emerged showing one of the attackers calmly patting a child on the head and shoulder moments before he walked into the packed St Sebastian’s church and detonated his bomb.
A US FBI team is now in Sri Lanka, Wijewardene said, and Britain, Australia and the United Arab Emirates have all offered intelligence help.
Experts say the bombings bear many of the hallmarks of Daesh attacks, and the government has suggested local militants could not have acted alone.
But it has not yet officially confirmed any Daesh role in the blasts against three churches packed with Easter worshippers and three high-end hotels. A desperate search was under way for other suspects linked to the blasts, including the head of the local hardliner group believed to have played a key role in the attacks.
The government has said the NTJ group was behind the attack, perhaps with international help, and its leader Zahran Hashim remains unaccounted for.
He appears to be among eight people seen in a video released by Daesh on Tuesday, leading seven others in a pledge of allegiance to Daesh chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
It was not yet clear whether Hashim was among the suicide attackers or had escaped after the blasts.
Government officials have said they cannot rule out further attacks while suspects remain at large.
In all, nine people are believed to have blown themselves up in Sunday, either during attacks or when police attempted to arrest them.
Sri Lankan police sources have told AFP that two Muslim brothers, sons of a wealthy Colombo spice trader, blew themselves up at the Shangri-La and the Cinnamon Grand hotels.
Sri Lanka’s churches remained shut on Sunday forcing Christians to say prayers of grief in private over the Easter suicide attacks that the country’s Roman Catholic leader called “an insult to humanity.” Fearing a repeat of the Easter Sunday bombings of churches and hotels in which 253 people died, the Archbishop of Colombo, Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, held a private mass after cancelling all public services.
Intelligence warnings from abroad alerting to possible attacks by Islamist extremists were ignored ahead of the multiple bombings of churches and upscale hotels on April 21 that killed 253 people and injured nearly 500.
Sri Lanka’s military launched a major hunt on Saturday for remnants of an extremist group which carried out the Easter suicide bombings that killed 258 people, officials said.
"I would like to say sorry because today is your birthday and your great life partner is with me."
"During our treks we usually take trash bags on our treks but accidentally forgot them, next time will do more. Our citizens need to be educated to enjoy this beautiful county but be responsible tourists," he said.
Both Arab defendants – a motorist, 36, and his colleague, 37— kidnapped the Indian employee, 33, from a building housing his boss’ company in Baniyas area at around 9:30pm on May 26, the Criminal Court heard.
The parents of the twins Waseem and Nazma have been arrested for the killing that took place on Sunday. Waseem, who works as daily wager and already has a seven-year-old son, told the police that his financial condition was poor and he could not afford two daughters.