Bernardo Silva said playing for Real Madrid “is not for everyone” after the Portugal midfielder was presented by the 15-time European champions on Wednesday.
The 31-year-old, who joined from Manchester City at the end of his contract this summer, said he was proud to join the world’s most successful club.
“I’ve already played quite a few times at the Bernabeu -- when you arrive and see the 15 Champions League titles they display there, it’s very imposing, and having them here is very special,” Silva told club television channel Real Madrid TV.
“Playing for a club that has 15 Champions League titles is not for everyone, so I’m very proud and now I’ll give everything for this club.”
Silva’s former Manchester City team-mate Rodri joined Madrid’s rivals Barcelona on Tuesday.
The Spanish midfielder had been linked with Real Madrid and new Los Blancos coach Jose Mourinho said he had spoken with Rodri earlier in the summer.
“I spoke with him a couple of times, and Real Madrid made him a very good offer,” Mourinho told Spanish television show El Chiringuito this week.
“Rodri had doubts... and the doubts of Rodri created doubts for me.
“He’s an extraordinary player and was very professional with us, nothing negative to say. But Real Madrid is a club of a stature that can’t have players who think twice about it.”
Meanwhile, Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo said Wednesday wantaway striker Julian Alvarez can win over the club’s fans in just two matches.
The Argentina international said this summer it would be best if he was allowed to leave, with Barcelona and Real Madrid making bids for the forward, which Atletico rejected.
Alvarez is not part of Diego Simeone’s squad for their La Liga opener on Wednesday against promoted side Malaga as he builds fitness following post-World Cup holidays.
“I don’t know if he will say sorry, but Julian is an excellent person and I am absolutely sure that he will win over the fans in two games,” Cerezo told reporters.
Simeone said Tuesday he was planning on building the team around the 26-year-old, who has also been linked with Arsenal.
“I said he wouldn’t be sold, he’s our player and an important part of our team,” added Cerezo ahead of the team’s first game of the season.
Agencies