Elena Rybakina stayed unbeaten at the WTA Finals with a 6-4 6-4 victory over second alternate Ekaterina Alexandrova on Wednesday after Madison Keys withdrew from their final round robin meeting with illness and Mirra Andreeva was not fit to play.
Rybakina arrived for the clash after victories over Amanda Anisimova and Iga Swiatek but the former Wimbledon champion came under pressure against a fresh Alexandrova, before breaking in the ninth game and then claiming the opening set with a hold.
The Kazakh, who staved off three breakpoints in the first set, cranked up her big serve and heavy hitting early in the second to go 3-1 up and applied the squeeze to close in on another win ahead of the semi-finals.
Another break courtesy of a powerful return of serve left Rybakina one game away and the 26-year-old eventually wrapped up the victory despite some struggles on her own delivery late in the clash at King Saud University Sports Arena.
Keys withdraws from WTA Finals with illness
Madison Keys has withdrawn from her clash against Rybakina due to a viral illness.
The Australian Open champion suffered two defeats in round-robin play this week in Riyadh, to Swiatek and Anisimova, and had no chance of advancing to Friday’s semi-finals.
At the end of her match against Anisimova on Monday, Keys wouldn’t shake her opponent’s hand, indicating she was feeling unwell and didn’t want to pass on the virus.
“I’m really disappointed to not be feeling my best and ultimately having to withdraw from the tournament. It’s a huge accomplishment to make it this far and I’m very proud of myself for doing that and having a great year. I hope to be back next year,” said Keys in a statement.
Alexandrova is the second alternate in Riyadh. The first alternate, Mirra Andreeva, who is already competing in the doubles at this year’s WTA Finals, elected not to sign in due to not being fit to play on Wednesday.
Andreeva has a doubles match on Thursday, alongside her partner Diana Shnaider, and might be called in for duty as an alternate to replace Jasmine Paolini in singles, given the Italian is no longer in contention for a semi-final spot and is also feeling unwell.
Jabeur to focus on her health
Former world number two Ons Jabeur said she was putting herself first for a change and would take control of her schedule after becoming depressed during a punishing run on tour.
The men’s and women’s circuits have come under scrutiny recently due to their packed calendars, with a host of players including Naomi Osaka, Emma Raducanu, Daria Kasatkina, Elina Svitolina and Paula Badosa cutting their seasons short.
Three-times Grand Slam runner-up Jabeur, who has been dubbed the ‘Minister of Happiness’ for her jovial personality, took a break from competitive tennis in July to focus on her health.
“The schedule is killing everyone,” she told Sky Sports.
“I hope the tennis community will listen to us and lower some of the tournaments. It’s piling up, for example, Doha and Dubai.
“I want to play there, but two WTA 1000 tournaments in a row? It’s too much. I feel they want to add more. Also two-week WTA 1000 tournaments. I don’t know whose idea it was ... none of the players like it.”
Reuters has contacted the WTA for comment.
The WTA has previously said athlete welfare is its top priority and it listened to views on the calendar, both through the players’ council and their representatives on the WTA board, to improve the structure in 2024 and boost compensation.
Top players are obliged to compete in all four Grand Slams, 10 WTA 1000 tournaments and six WTA 500 events under WTA rules, with the punishment for missing them ranking points penalties.
“I’m done letting the schedule dictate what I should do and what I shouldn’t do,” Jabeur added.
“I suffered a lot, mentally more than physically. But my body was screaming for help for a long time. I haven’t listened. I think I had depression without even knowing and people call me the ‘Minister of Happiness’.
“I was sad for a long time. I’m putting myself first. That’s a huge step.”
Agencies