Ollie Robinson appeals for the wicket of New Zealand's Ross Taylor. Reuters
Ollie Robinson will miss next week's second Test against New Zealand at Edgbaston after being suspended from all international cricket pending an investigation into racist and sexist Twitter messages, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced on Sunday.
Sussex quick Robinson made an impressive on-field England debut in the drawn first Test at Lord's concluded on Sunday. But his efforts with bat and ball were overshadowed by the re-emergence of racist and sexist social media messages the 27-year-old had posted as a teenager in 2012 and 2013.
"England and Sussex bowler Ollie Robinson has been suspended from all international cricket pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation following historic tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013," said an ECB statement. "He will not be available for selection for the LV= Insurance second Test against New Zealand starting at Edgbaston on Thursday 10 June. "Robinson will leave the England camp immediately and return to his county," it added.
The paceman led England's attack with 4-75 in the first innings at Lord's and followed up with 3-26 in the second while in between making a useful 42 with the bat. But he found himself making an unreserved apology after stumps on Wednesday, his first day in Test cricket, for tweets that included comments suggesting Muslim people were linked to terrorism, and derogatory remarks about women and people of Asian heritage.
His messages re-emerged after both teams lined up before play on Wednesday for a 'Moment of Unity' designed to show their opposition to discrimination, with England wearing T-shirts stating 'Cricket is a game for everyone.'
Robinson, in a statement issued after play on Wednesday, said he was "embarrassed" and "ashamed" by the posts. "I want to make it clear that I'm not racist and I'm not sexist," he added.
England captain Joe Root speaking after stumps on Sunday but before Robinson's suspension had been announced, said of the tweets: "I couldn't believe them, personally." Root, however, added Robinson had shown a "lot of remorse" that was "very genuine."
Turning to Robinson's first match as a Test cricketer, on the field at Lord's, the skipper said: "He has had an exceptional debut...He's showed high levels of skill and he's definitely got the game that can be successful in Test cricket."
Root, however, insisted: "In regards to the stuff that's happened off the field, it's not acceptable within our game. We all know that."
As for suggestions that the ECB should have investigated Robinson's social media history prior to his England debut, Root said: "We can look back about how this could have been handled better, but the fact is it shouldn't have happened.
"And if we continue to keep trying to better the game right now, then in years to come this shouldn't be an issue. "We've got to move forward from this, learn from this and do everything we can to make sure it doesn't happen again."
Robinson has a separate employment contract with Sussex so he is free to play, if selected, for the south coast county during his international suspension.
South Africa-born left-hander Conway was in sight of becoming the very first batsman in the 144-year history of Test cricket to carry their bat throughout the entire innings in their first knock in the format when he was run out to end a stay of more than nine-and-a-half hours.
That meant they had an overall lead of 272 runs with 75.3 overs still left in the day — plenty of time in which to declare against an England side without several batsmen well-suited to a run chase in injured all-rounder Ben Stokes...
England has slumped to its first test series defeat at home since 2014 after meekly surrendering to New Zealand in less than an hour of play on the fourth day of the second test at Edgbaston on Sunday.
England, who had been 72-0, lost three wickets for 13 runs shortly after lunch as they slumped to 85-3, with captain Joe Root out for just four. But opener Rory Burns, fresh from his hundred in the drawn first Test at Lord's last week, was still there on 73 not out.
Ireland and Namibia face off in a knockout clash of the T20 World Cup with a Super 12 berth at stake in Sharjah on Friday. The match will mark the exit for the loser while winners will punch a ticket for the Super 12, which gets under way on Oct.23.
Pakistan were kings of the sub-continent from the mid-1980s to 1990s with their on-field brilliance under Imran Khan, who led them to the 1992 World Cup, before India turned the tables.
With five tennis greats already announced, there will be two more guest players were named ahead of the event, along with French ace, Gael Monfils, and British number 2, Dan Evans, US star
Dubai’s newest mega sporting event, the inaugural Dubai Padel Cup – an inclusive month-long padel tennis fiesta featuring exhibition matches with the world’s leading professionals and amateur competitions open to the racquet-wielding public — is poised to elevate the city as the Middle East’s undisputed padel capital.