Romania's Simona Halep reacts during her match against Spain's Garbine Muguruza at Australian Open. File/Reuters
World number two Simona Halep announced Sunday that she will not compete in the Palermo WTA event, which will mark the season's resumption after a five-month coronavirus suspension.
"Given the recent rise in COVID-19 cases in Romania and my anxieties around international air travel at this time, I have made the tough decision to withdraw from Palermo," Wimbledon champion Halep said on Twitter.
"I want to thank the tournament director and the Italian ministry of health for all efforts on my behalf."
Organisers had been seeking an exemption for the 28-year-old former world number one, who also won the French Open in 2018, to compete after Italian authorities on Friday imposed a 14-day quarantine on entry into Italy for all those who had been in Romania and Bulgaria during the previous two weeks.
"We found out with great bitterness the decision of the world number two to cancel her participation," said tournament director, Oliviero Palma.
"Yesterday we were optimistic, and we had informed Halep's staff about the fact that professional players are not obliged to quarantine."
"Nevertheless, Halep's staff only communicated us the final decision, frustrating all our efforts. We are embittered and profoundly disappointed."
The clay-court tournament in Sicily gets underway on Aug.3.Agence France-Presse
Wimbledon is set to start in London on June 29, but the continuing spread of the virus has caused havoc with the sporting schedule and the grass-court Grand Slam could be the next major event to be delayed.
The global tennis calendar has been thrown into further chaos after a decision by French Open organisers to postpone the Grand Slam, with players and rival tournaments critical of the apparently unilateral move.
World number one Djokovic, fellow Serb Viktor Troicki, Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov and Croatian Borna Coric all tested positive for the virus and the event had to be called off.
The announcement comes in line with the objectives of Dubai Vision 2021, which aims to strengthen Dubai's position as a preferred place to live and work.
This series is being played under special protocols because of the global coronavirus outbreak, with the PCB statement adding the decision to isolate Hafeez had been taken "for his and, the safety and security of everyone around him."
The UAE is set to add another feather to its cap by hosting the cricket’s biggest extravaganza – Indian Premier League (IPL) – at the time of the pandemic after the clearance by the Indian government.