Mohammad Amir celebrates with Haris Sohail after taking the wicket of West Indies' Chris Gayle. File / Reuters
Fast bowler Mohammad Amir will also not travel although his decision was based on personal reasons as his wife is due to give birth to their second child in August.
Pakistan will play three Tests and three Twenty20 internationals starting in August, with hosts England providing "bio-secure" arrangements in closed stadiums and hotels.
"Sohail's family was concerned about COVID-19, so he requested to withdraw from the tour while Amir has withdrawn so that he can be at the birth of his second child," a PCB spokesman confirmed.
Pakistan media reported that Sohail does not like to travel without his family, but they will not allowed on the tour.
Amir retired from Test cricket last year but was due to play in the Twenty20 games. Sohail would have been almost certain to be named in the squad.
The England and Wales Cricket Board have provided special arrangements to reduce the risk of the coronavirus for their series in July against the West Indies, which precedes Pakistan's visit.
Their matches will be played at Manchester and Southampton, both of which have hotels on site. Pakistan will send 28 players and 14 support personnel on the tour.
“The PCB is already in discussions with the ECB to bring forward their early July departure date for England so the Pakistan squad can benefit from the additional practice time there.
“More details around the pre-tour COVID-19 testing of the players and player support personnel, assembling them in Lahore and their training/match schedule will be shared in due course.
“The PCB, meanwhile, has reminded the players to not to practice at cricket grounds during this period and that they must observe and adhere to strict social distancing protocols. These instructions have been issued as their personal wellbeing and that of their families remains paramount.”
Pakistan’s most successful Test batsman and former captain Younis Khan was on Tuesday appointed as the men’s national team batting coach for the upcoming tour of England.
Three West Indian players — Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer and Keemo Paul — withdrew from the England tour over COVID-19 fears last week.
The West Indies team reached England on Tuesday and will play the first of three Tests in Southampton from July 8.Agencies
On Wednesday, a hashtag #ShameonYuviBhajji was trending with users lashing out at the duo for helping Afridi. At the same time, there was also support for the former Indian all-rounder with #IStandWithYuvi hashtag doing the rounds.
But as governments lift restrictions to boost their stagnant economies, there have been widespread fears of a second wave of infections that could plunge the world back into lockdown.
Playing cricket in an empty stadium is like marriage without a bride. We need crowds to play games. I hope the corona situation will be normalized within a year, says Akhtar.
"I don't think Kapil bhai understood what I was trying to say," Shoaib told a news channel. "Everyone is going to be trapped economically. This is the time to put our heads together and generate revenues. I'm talking about the larger perspective, about economic reforms.
All eyes will be on all-rounders Ben Stokes and Jason Holder in Southampton as they will lead their respective teams on the pitch at Ageas Bowl to mark the beginning of this historic series.
International cricket returns on Wednesday following the coronavirus lockdown when England play the first match of their three-Test series against the West Indies at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton, followed by two matches at Old Trafford, in Manchester.
The manager renowned for his own flashpoints and volatility was delighted to see tensions between teammates erupting in public view.