Shakib Al Hasan waves to the fans during a 2019 Cricket World Cup match at The County Ground in Taunton, southwest England. Saeed Khan / AFP
There seems to be no end to troubles in Bangladesh cricket as after the players and Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) reached an amicable solution to end the players' strike a couple of days ago, their star all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan was banned by ICC on Tuesday from all cricket for two years. Out of two years ban one year ban is suspended.
Ban on Bangladesh captain, came after Shakib "accepted three charges of breaching the International Cricket Council (ICC) Anti-Corruption Code," the sport's governing body said in a statement.
These included failing to disclose to the ICC's Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) full details of approaches or invitations made in relation to the Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe Tri-Series in January 2018 as well as the 2018 Indian Premier League (IPL), it said.
"Under the provisions of the Code, Mr Al Hasan chose to admit the charges and agreed the sanction with the ICC in lieu of an Anti-Corruption Tribunal hearing," the ICC said.
"Subject to him satisfying the conditions in respect of the suspended part of the sanction, he will be free to resume international cricket on 29 October 2020," it added.
Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said that the country's cricket board, the BCB, "will always be with Shakib and will help him in every way".
She said that while match-fixers often contact players, Sbakib's "mistake is that when he was contacted he didn't give it too much importance. He didn't inform... the ICC."
Only last week, Shakib led a brief strike by Bangladesh's professional cricketers to press for better pay and benefits.
A two-year ban was imposed on Bangladesh captain and star all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan on Tuesday from all cricket activities, with one year suspended, the International Cricket Council (ICC) announced.
Hundreds of supporters of Bangladesh’s cricket captain Shakib Al Hasan took to streets in many cities to stage a protest on Wednesday after the all-rounder was handed a two-year ban
After suffering a crushing defeat in the national capital, the young Indian team will look to bounce back when they face Bangladesh in the second T20I on Thursday at the Saurashtra
Taking to Twitter, Kohli said: "Hello, I am Virat Kohli. Today I am speaking to you not as an India player, but as a citizen of the country. What I have seen in the last few days people moving in groups, not abiding by curfew rules, not following lockdown guidelines it shows that we are taking the fight very lightly. But this fight is not as easy as it looks or feels."
A two-year leadership ban slapped on Steve Smith after the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa ended on Sunday, leaving the master batsman free to skipper Australia again.
With careers spent scratching around dusty outposts, sometimes with “just $100” in their pockets, Tennis’ unheralded army of foot soldiers claim they are struggling to afford food after being made unemployed overnight by the coronavirus pandemic.