Al Wahda beat Fujairah; Bani Yas stun Sharjah at Arabian Gulf Cup - GulfToday

Al Wahda beat Fujairah; Bani Yas stun Sharjah at Arabian Gulf Cup

Al Wahda beat Fujairah; Bani Yas  stun Sharjah at Arabian Gulf Cup

Players of Sharjah and Bani Yas in action during their Arabian Gulf Cup match.

Al Wahda earned their first win of the season as they beat Fujairah 3-1 in their first Group B match at the Arabian Gulf Cup at Al Nahyan Stadium on Friday.

Al Wahda controlled the possession in the early minutes of the game but failed to create real goalscoring chances.

Midway through the first half, Fujairah goalkeeper Saleh Rabie pulled off two consecutive saves from Nicolas Milesi and Mohamed Al Menhali to keep the game goalless.   

Five minutes ahead of the break, the Clarets broke the deadlock and went 1-0 up, thanks to Abdulla Anwar‘s goal. South Korean defender Rim Chang-woo crossed the ball inside the box to Anwar who beat his marker and slotted home.

Al Wahda started the second half in a perfect manner and only three minutes after the restart, Anwar added his second of the night to put the Clarets 2-0 up. A perfect though pass from veteran UAE international Ismail Matar found Anwar, who burst into the box and went one-on-one with the goalkeeper before slotting the ball home.

Twelve minutes from time, Fujairah reduced the deficit through Salim Saif who headed Fernando Gabriel‘s free-kick past Al Wahda keeper Mohamed Al Shamsi.

Fujairah failed to complete their comeback as the Clarets soon added a third to seal the three points. After an impressive run from Khalil Ibrahim on the right flank, he sent the ball to Yahya Al Ghassani who tapped home.

Al Wahda now sit on top of Group B alongside Bani Yas, who beat Sharjah on Thursday. Meanwhile, Hatta and Ajman sit in third and fourth place respectively after sharing the spoils in their opening game.

Al Nasr made an impressive start to their season as they beat Ittihad Kalba 3-0 in their first Group A match at Al Maktoum Stadium.

Al Nasr had the upper hand in the early minutes of the game and were already 1-0 up after eight minutes. Brandley Kuwas found Jassem Yaqoub’s cross inside the box before sending the ball into the back of Jamal Ali’s net.  

Kalba tried to reduce the deficit but failed to pose enough threat on Al Nasr’s goal. The most dangerous chance in the first half fell to Walid Amber in the 23rd minute but his effort was saved by Al Nasr keeper Ahmed Shambih.

The Blues doubled their lead four minutes before halftime through Toze. Yaqoub was again involved in the goal as he passed the ball into the Portuguese midfielder’s way, who then sent a curling effort from the edge of the box into the far left corner of the net.

While Kalba were trying to make a comeback in the second half, they suffered a huge setback when they were reduced to 10 men after Yaqoub Al Hosani was sent off in the 64th minute.

Yaseen Al Bakhit was Kalba’s most effective player and had few scoring chances with the most dangerous one coming 20 minutes from time. However, his powerful effort from outside the box was saved by Shambih.

Al Nasr are now tied on three points with Al Jazira, who beat Khorfakkan 3-1, on top of Group A.
Pedro Conde netted a brace as Bani Yas defeated Sharjah 2-0 in their first Group B match at the Arabian Gulf Cup on Thursday night.

Bani Yas looked more dangerous in the early stages of the game as the hosts thought they took the lead after five minutes only, however, Ayanda Patosi’s effort was ruled out for an offside.

The Sky Blues continued to pose threat on the King’s goal and came close to finding the back of the net on the quarter-hour mark. A stunning free-kick from Luiz Antonio went just few inches wide.

In the 23rd minute, Suhail Al Noubi played a neat one-two with Conde, however, Al Noubi’s effort went above the bar.

Three minutes later, Sharjah had a chance to take the lead but Igor Coronado’s strike was saved by Bani Yas keeper Fahad Al Dhanhani.

Two minutes after the one-hour mark, Bani Yas went 1-0 up. The Sky Blues were awarded a penalty kick after Conde was brought down inside the box. The Spanish forward converted calmly from the spot into the bottom right corner of the net to give the hosts’ a deserved lead.

Related articles

Other Articles

Team Emirates’ Pogacar claims podium finish

A monumental final push in the UAE heat from Tadej Pogacar wasn’t enough to take the win in the third stage of the team’s home country as Adam Yates...

The 184km Emirates Stage finished with an exhausting 10.8km climb as Yates launched a surprisingly early attack with 6km to go. Pogacar didn’t react to Yates’ initial acceleration but then ripped clear of the chasing group with 5km remaining, finishing second in the stage, claiming the young rider’s jersey and ending the day second in the GC in a successful day for the team.

Pogacar said “It was extremely hot today, so for me on a climb like that in those temperatures it was a really good ride and I’m pleased.

“There is still three stages with another big mountain stage and the chance of crosswinds tomorrow so it’s not over yet. We have a strong team here so will try something for sure.”

Pogacar will get another chance to claim back the one minute GC deficit as the fifth stage of the Tour finishes at the same Jebel Hafeet summit.

Pogacar will wear the white young rider’s jersey in Wednesday’s stage as the race sees the riders return to the flats which will come as welcome relief for the sprinters.

The Emirates NBD Stage starts from Zabeel Park, crosses Mushrif Park and Motor City before finishing at Dubai City Walk where the popular walkway has been transformed as part of the racing route.

British climber Yates pulverised the opposition on the tough, final ascent of stage, winning by over a minute and taking the overall race lead.

His compatriot Chris Froome was dropped early in the race.

The four-time Tour de France winner again struggled on his comeback from injuries sustained last May.

The 27-year-old Yates is also making his 2020 debut and looks favourite to win in a competitive field after his stunning attack from 6km out at the end of a warm day with temperatures passing 30C.

“I attacked maybe a little too early, but in the end I felt good,” said Yates, whose win gives him a 1min 07sec lead in the overall.

“A minute is a lot, but we have to do this climb again, and maybe my legs won’t be so good then,” Yates said in reference to stage five.

“Also tomorrow I heard a rumour there are going to be crosswinds, so we’ll see.”

Yates was followed up the final 10.6km Jebell Hafeet climb at a 7 per cent gradient by a trio of challengers with Slovenian prodigy Pogacar finishing 1min 03sec adrift.

Astana’s Alexey Lutsenko was third at 1min 30sec accompanied by up-and-coming Frenchman David Gaudu.

Yates came fourth at the 2016 Tour de France and is targeting the Grand Boucle this summer where he will lead the Australian team ahead of his brother Simon.

Wednesday’s flat stage, the fourth of seven, is a 173km run to Dubai City Walk where a mass bunch sprint is expected.

Stage 3 Results

1. Adam Yates (GBR) Mitchelton-Scott 4h42’34”

2. Tadej Pogacar (SLO) UAE Team Emirates +1:03

3. Alexey Lutsenko (KAZ) Astana +1:30

General Classification Results

1. Adam Yates (GBR) Mitchelton-Scott 12h30’02”

2. Tadej Pogacar (SLO) UAE Team Emirates +1:07

3. Alexey Lutsenko (KAZ) Astana +1:35

21 hours ago