Argentina captain Lionel Messi gestures to a tea mate.
Argentina captain Lionel Messi has been given a three-month ban from international football for his claim that the Copa America in Brazil was influenced by corruption.
The Barcelona forward was also fined 50,000 US dollars by South American football governing body CONMEBOL on Friday.
The ruling means Messi will miss Argentina's friendlies against Chile, Mexico and Germany in September and October. Messi has seven days to appeal the decision, reports Xinhua news agency.
The five-time Ballon d'Or winner made the allegations after being sent off for an altercation with Gary Medel in Argentina's 2-1 defeat of Chile in the Copa America third-place playoff last month.
After the match Messi said: "We don't have to be part of this corruption. They [referees] have showed us a lack of respect throughout this tournament." Messi also said the competition was "set up" for eventual champions Brazil to win.
The 32-year-old had already been suspended for one competitive match and fined 1,500 US dollars for his comments and the red card.
"It's unacceptable that there have been unfounded accusations that misrepresent the truth and put to judgement the integrity of Copa America," a CONMEBOL statement read.
"The accusations represent a lack of respect for the competition, all the players involved and the hundreds of professionals of CONMEBOL."
Indo-Asian News Service
Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez might be the deadliest attack in Europe but Barcelona’s success in the Champions League could rest on their increasingly mean defence.
The 32-year-old Barcelona star, who infamously quit international football after Argentina's defeat in the 2016 Copa America Centenario final, said he had no plans to hang up his boots after a 2-0 semi-final loss to Brazil.
Messi's wife Antonela Roccuzzo has shared a video on Instagram which showed Mateo taking a penalty and celebrating like the FC Barcelona superstar.
"The king has returned to the top of the throne," said Fury, who had dropped Wilder in the third and fifth rounds as he remained unbeaten while handing Wilder the first defeat of his career.
No.1 seed Simona Halep was forced to the brink, but battled to a hard-earned second Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships title, as the Romanian fought back from a set down to overcome rising Kazakh Elena Rybakina, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(5) in Saturday night’s classic final.
Minutes before the official men’s draw, Malek Jaziri — one of the best tennis players in the Arab world — said that he hoped for better luck this time.
Returning to the court for the first time since lifting a record-extending eighth Australian Open title last month, top seed Novak Djokovic will face former semi-finalist Malek Jaziri in the first round of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.