Zimbabwe players react during a match at Harare Sports Club. File / Tsvangirayi Mukwazhi / AP
Zimbabwe’s failure to keep its cricket free from government interference has resulted in it being suspended by International Cricket Council (ICC).
International cricket chiefs’ decision on Thursday has put doubts on their participation in qualifiers for the T20 World Cup.
The decision means ICC funding to Zimbabwe Cricket will be frozen and representative teams from the country will not be allowed to participate in any ICC events.
The punishment comes after the Zimbabwe Cricket Board was suspended by the government last month and replaced with an interim committee.
"The ICC has directed that the elected Zimbabwe Cricket Board be reinstated to office within three months, and progress in this respect will be considered again at the October board meeting," the ICC said in a statement.
"The ICC board heard from both the sports and recreation committee representatives of the Zimbabwe government and Zimbabwe Cricket before making their decision."
ICC chairman Shashank Manohar said: "We do not take the decision to suspend a member lightly but we must keep our sport free from political interference.
"What has happened in Zimbabwe is a serious breach of the ICC constitution and we cannot allow it to continue unchecked.
"The ICC wants cricket to continue in Zimbabwe in accordance with the ICC constitution." Zimbabwe were due to compete in the men's World T20 qualifiers in October and November and the women's qualifiers starting in late August but their participation is now unclear.
Political turmoil within the sport and a string of humiliating performances led Zimbabwe to suspend their involvement in Test cricket in 2005 although they continued to play one-day internationals and Twenty20 (T20) internationals at the highest level.
They returned to Test cricket in 2011 but are languishing in 10th place in the rankings.
They are 12th in the one-day international rankings and did not take part in the just-concluded World Cup in England and Wales.
The Croatia Cricket Federation and the Zambia Cricket Union have both also been suspended for continuing non-compliance with ICC membership criteria while the Moroccan Royal Cricket Federation has been expelled over continuing non-compliance.
At the same meeting in London, the ICC also approved the introduction of concussion replacements, effective from the first Ashes Test starting on August 1, following successful trials in domestic cricket.
The player will need to be a like-for-like substitute, and any switch will need to be approved by the match referee.
And the ICC agreed that captains would no longer be suspended for repeated or serious over-rate breaches.
All players will be held equally responsible for slow over rates, and as such will be fined at the same level as the captain.
In World Test Championship matches a team that is behind the required over rate at the end of a match will have points deducted.
A historic double hundred from Hashmatullah Shahidi (200 not out) and captain Asghar Afghan's (164) put Afghanistan comfortably in the driver's seat on Day 2 of their second Test against Zimbabwe at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium on Thursday.
Social media was flooded with birthday wishes from fans, cricketers and other sports personalities to wish Dhoni on his birthday.
It was the second such incident at the event in England and Wales, after a banner was flown over the same ground in Leeds during last week's match between Pakistan and Afghanistan.
The strategic partnership strengthens both parties’ commitment to supporting the nation’s athletes, broadening the sports horizons, and enhancing the country’s leadership position globally.
Same views were echoed by NBA commissioner Adam Silver, who added: “Our data shows we have fans coming in from 59 countries for these games. This continues the notion of promoting Abu Dhabi as a hub for great sporting events.
Mohammad Rizwan underlined why he will be a key weapon for Pakistan at the Twenty20 World Cup, top-scoring in a 21-run win over Bangladesh in Christchurch on Friday.
Qatar has ordered most government employees to work from home during next month's soccer World Cup while schools will have reduced hours two weeks before the tournament before shutting as the country prepares for a big influx of visitors.