Pakistan cricket's chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq. File photo/AFP
Pakistan cricket's chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq says he will not stay in the job after his contract ends July 31.
"I want fresh people to come with fresh ideas and take Pakistan cricket forward," Inzamam said Wednesday.
The Pakistan Cricket Board may not have renewed Inzamam's contract, anyway, after Pakistan failed to advance to the semifinals at the Cricket World Cup. It finished with the same number of points - 11 - as fourth-place New Zealand but the Black Caps qualified on superior net run-rate and lost to England in Sunday's final.
"After more than three years as chairman (of the selection committee), I have decided not to seek a renewal of my contract.
"After more than three years as chairman (of the selection committee), I have decided not to seek a renewal of my contract," Inzamam said.
The former Pakistan test captain said he wanted the next chief selector to have enough time to prepare the team for the next Cricket World Cup in 2023 in India.
Inzamam was appointed chief selector in 2016 and during his tenure Pakistan won the Champions Trophy in England in 2017 - beating India by 180 runs - and have been on top of the Twenty20 rankings since Jan. 2018.
Inzamam met with Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ehsan Mani and managing director Wasim Khan on Monday and told them his decision not to extend his contract.
Proteas captain Dane van Niekerk won the toss and opted to bat on a slow track at Sydney Showgrounds, with her team making a competitive 136 for six, boosted by Wolvaardt's late fireworks. In reply Pakistan could only manage 119 for five.
Australia opener David Warner shared his thoughts with Rohit Sharma while interacting in an Instagram live chat last week and said: "The ICC World Cup will not go ahead here by the looks of it. It will be difficult to get everyone (16 teams) together."
Persistent and heavy rain forced the cancellation of the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup 2020 third position play-off between Pakistan and New Zealand at the Willowmoore Park, Benoni, South Africa, on Saturday
The 34-year-old Spanish star also took aim at the international tennis schedule, which has been revised following disruptions sparked by COVID-19 shutdowns.
The 20-year-old Spaniard, City's first signing of the summer transfer window, has penned a five-year contract for a reported initial fee of £20.9 million ($27 million).
Ireland-born Morgan scored a century of his own as England set the visitors an imposing victory target of 329 at the Rose Bowl but he sat out the second innings because of a minor groin injury.