Heavy traffic of mountain climbers lining up to the summit of Mount Everest on Wednesday. AFP
A US climber has died after descending from Everest, officials said on Tuesday, taking this season’s toll to 11 including several deaths blamed on overcrowding on the world’s highest mountain.
Christopher John Kulish, 61, had already climbed the 8,848-metre (29,029-feet) peak, and was safely back at a camp below the summit on Monday evening.
“All of a sudden he had a heart problem and passed away at South Col, according to his expedition organisers,” said Mira Acharya from Nepal’s tourism department.
Nepal issued a record 381 Everest permits this season and a short weather window resulted in some teams waiting several hours in the dangerous “dead zone,” running out of oxygen supplies and risking exhaustion.
At least four of the deaths this season — the deadliest since 2015 when massive earthquakes triggered avalanches that swept away climbers’ camps — have been blamed on the delays.
As well as the Everest deaths, nine climbers have died on other 8,000-metre Himalayan peaks, while one person is missing.
In addition to the Nepal permits that cost $11,000 each, at least 140 others were granted permission to climb from the northern flank of Everest in Tibet.
Although final numbers are yet to be released with the season ending this week, together with the accompanying sherpa guides this could take the total past last year’s record of 807 people reaching the summit.
Nirmal Purja, a former member of the Gurkhas — a brigade of Nepalis in British army famous for their fearlessness — as well as the elite Special Boat Service, kicked off "Project Possible" in April.
Chinese climber who became the first blind Asian to scale Mount Everest said he aims to climb the highest peaks on all seven continents and then travel to the North and South Poles.
His father Kashif Suliman also confirmed that Shehroze has successfully scaled K2 on Tuesday morning and made history. He said Shehroze began his journey towards the ‘Killer Mountain’ two weeks earlier.
The England and Wales Cricket Board and the Bangladesh Cricket Board said they had mutually decided to postponed the three ODI and three T20 matches.
Tie Break Tens, the fast-paced, short-form tennis format, has announced that the exciting international tennis series will be heading to Dubai this October as an annual event on Emirate’s calendar. This will mark the first time the region has staged an event
UAE’s Inaugural Premier League T20 (PLT20) will be played across UAE in January and February 2022. The new six-team franchise-style league has been sanctioned by Minister of Tolerance and Coexistence and Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) chairman
India suffered a huge blow on the eve of their first Test against England as opener Mayank Agarwal was ruled out of the series opener with a head injury. Agarwal was hit on his head during a net practice by team-mate Siraj during a training session. Since then,