Sudanese protest leaders said that talks scheduled for Friday with the country’s military rulers were postponed after rebel members of their movement expressed reservations over a power-sharing deal inked with the generals this week.
Witnesses said many protesters were carrying banners that read: "Justice for Martyrs" while others held photographs of demonstrators killed in the raid.
Sudanese protester Walid Abdelrahim was shot dead last month in Khartoum but for his mother he is still alive — thanks to a colourful mural of his smiling face on a wall of their home.
The accord was signed in Khartoum in the presence of African mediators following a night of marathon talks to iron out some details of the agreement reached earlier this month.
The accord stipulates that a new transitional ruling body be established, comprised of six civilians and five military representatives. The civilian representation will include five from the Alliance for Freedom and Change, according to the declaration.
Days after a blackout on mobile Internet services ended, Sudanese are shocked by the content of online videos and photographs that appear to document last month’s deadly raid on demonstrators.
Sudan’s ruling military council and a coalition of opposition and protest groups reached an agreement to share power during a transition period leading to elections, setting off street celebrations by thousands of people.
The deal, reached in the early hours of Friday after two days of hard-won talks brokered by Ethiopian and African Union mediators, provides for the interim governing body to have a rotating presidency, as a compromise between the positions of the generals and the protesters.
She may have spent 40 days in jail for demonstrating against president Omar Al Bashir who has since been toppled but activist Amani Osmane says the battle for women’s rights in Sudan is far from over.