Saudi Arabia announced on Saturday that it has placed new preventive measures in its fight against the coronavirus (COVID-19), by temporarily restricting the entry of Emirati, Kuwaiti and Bahraini nationals into the country.
A 103-year-old woman in Iran has recovered after being infected with the new coronavirus, state media reported on Wednesday, despite overwhelming evidence the elderly are most at risk from the disease.
The Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC) nationals wishing to enter the UAE should undergo COVID-19 medical test and place themselves under house quarantine for 14 days, said a statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Friday.
Wuhan was where the outbreak first took hold and thousands once lay sick or dying in hurriedly constructed hospitals. But Chinese authorities said on Thursday that all 34 new cases recorded over the previous day had been imported from abroad.
The virus has now infected more than 88,000 people and spread to over 60 countries after first emerging in China late last year. South Korea, the biggest nest of infections outside China, reported nearly 500 new cases on Monday, bringing its total past 4,000.
All cases are being monitored round-the-clock, are in a stable condition and are receiving all necessary health care, MoHAP affirmed.
Several Arab ambassadors praised the UAE’s humanitarian initiative to evacuate citizens of friendly countries from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the coronavirus, COVID-19, outbreak, and host them in a humanitarian city in the country, to ensure their safety and recovery and provide them treatment.
Joint humanitarian efforts saw the completion of the project within 48 hours since the UAE's announcement of evacuating students from neighbouring countries from the city of Wuhan on Wednesday.
Iran health ministry registers 346 new fatalities in the past 24 hours, raising the total to 33,299. The previous record of 337 deaths was reached last week, and was matched again on Monday.