A Darwin woman has found up to 20 venomous mouse spiders at the bottom of her swimming pool, prompting Australian officials to warn residents about the rise in dangerous spiders as temperatures heat up.
The mother was giving the boy a bath. She left the boy in the tub for a while and went out of the restroom. Upon her return to the privy, she noticed the boy unconscious.
The pool was emptied of its water, electricity was cut off and teams used various devices to break down the concrete tiles around the pipe in order to save the boy.
"If you miss that shot, you might not eat," says Ted Lerner, a US-born journalist who has made a life in the Philippines, summing up the pressure they play under.
The child's family was by the pool at the time of the incident, and the rapid intervention of lifeguard Angel Nakapito averted the worst.