The Indian and Chinese foreign ministers have agreed that their troops should disengage from a tense border standoff, maintain proper distance and ease tensions in the cold-desert Ladakh region where the two sides in June had their deadliest clash
India’s army chief said on Tuesday that he expected talks to lead to an amicable solution to the border crisis with China that escalated last year after a fight in which 20 Indian soldiers were killed.
The 11th round of India China Corps Commander’s meeting has ended with good optics and pleasantly worded Press Information Bureau release, with no concrete agreement (if any) disseminated so far. Post disengagement of troops in Eastern Ladakh from
After a fierce physical fight on the undefined Ladakh border left many dead on both sides, India and China are trying to defuse the situation. The nasty clash, in which soldiers used rods, stones and bare hands, occurred even as talks
The continuing escalation of India-China tension on the border leading to a large-scale physical attack by Peoples’ Liberation Army (PLA) men on Indian personnel on the Line of Actual Control (LAC)
Indian politicians of the old were of different mettle. Months before the war with China, prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru undermined the importance of Aksai Chin on the Indo-China border, an area claimed by India, but controlled by China.“It is a territory where not even a blade of grass grows, about 17,000 feet high. Ladakh is a useless uninhabitable land,” he said.
The confrontation in the Galwan Valley, part of the disputed Ladakh region along the Himalayan frontier, was the deadliest in 45 years. India blames China for instigating the fight by developing infrastructure in the valley, which it said was a breach of the agreement of what area remained in dispute.
“The PLA soldier who had been apprehended on Jan.8, 2021, has been handed back to China at Chushul-Moldo at 10.10 am today,” the Indian Army said in a statement, referring to the People’s Liberation Army of China.