Prominent Palestinian journalist Saleh Aljafarawi killed in Gaza amid clashes
Last updated: October 13, 2025 | 00:48 ..
Journalist Saleh Aljafarawi waves the Palestinian flag after the announcement of the ceasefire in Gaza.
Gulf Today Report
Palestinian journalist Saleh Aljafarawi, one of Gaza’s most well-known reporters, was killed on Sunday after being shot by Anti-Hamas gunmen in the Al-Sabra neighbourhood of southern Gaza City, just days after a ceasefire agreement was announced.
According to Palestinian media outlets, the 28-year-old was fatally wounded while covering ongoing clashes in the area. Eyewitnesses said Aljafarawi came under fire from an armed group alleged to be linked to the Israeli occupation and was struck by multiple bullets.
Images shared on social media appeared to show his body moments after the attack.
Quds News Network reported that Aljafarawi was deliberately targeted by what they described as “Israeli-backed collaborator groups” while documenting the aftermath of the recent Israeli withdrawal from Gaza City.
A Gazan mourns over the body of Saleh Aljafarawi at a hospital in Gaza.
Meanwhile, other sources from Gaza’s Interior Ministry, said the clashes erupted between Gaza’s security forces and an armed militia “affiliated with the occupation.” Several people were reported dead and others injured before local security regained control of the area.
The same sources added that approximately 60 militia members were detained for interrogation, while several others accused of collaborating with Israel or attacking displaced Palestinians returning to Gaza City were killed during the confrontation.
In a statement, the Gaza Government Media Office condemned Aljafarawi’s killing, describing it as part of “Israel’s continuing policy of targeting Palestinian journalists, whether through direct attacks or via proxy groups.”
Aljafarawi rose to prominence during the war in Gaza, using his camera and social media to document widespread destruction and civilian suffering. Earlier this week, a video of him celebrating the ceasefire went viral, offering a rare glimpse of optimism after years of conflict.
Palestinian outlets reported that Israeli authorities had previously placed Aljafarawi on a “red notice” list for his coverage of the war and Israeli military actions — a list that allegedly included other journalists killed in recent years, such as Anas Al-Sharif.
His death occurred during the initial phase of the US-brokered ceasefire, which includes the withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza, a prisoner exchange, and the reopening of border crossings for humanitarian aid.