Scenes of burning woodland near the Aegean coastal resort of Marmaris sparked fears of a repeat of last year's fires that devastated tens of thousands of hectares (acres) across the region.
UN chief saddened by heavy loss of life in Afghanistan earthquake
Taliban appeals for international aid following devastating earthquake
The media footage showed smoke billowing from hills and police water cannon vehicles helping firefighters as the blaze spread through the woodlands in the sparsely populated area.
President Tayyip Erdogan's government was criticised for being unprepared to fight the fires last year, especially due to a lack of planes and helicopters. It responded by saying the wildfires were the worst in Turkey's history.
Tayyip Erdogan inspects a wildfire as his helicopter flies over disaster zone near Marmaris. Reuters
Kemal Kilicdaroglu, head of the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP), said on Wednesday the government was "incompetent" and had not prepared for the fires since last year.
"The whole world knows how sensitive an area the Mediterranean basin is on this issue due to climate change," Kilicdaroglu said, speaking near Marmaris.
"They'll blame the wind and not themselves," he said.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said the government had planned to receive night-vision helicopters by July but would now bring that date forward.
Russia is set to unveil on Wednesday its new passenger plane MC-21, billed as a competitor to Boeing and Airbus even as the project is overshadowed by sanctions
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed Turkey would not allow the US to delay the establishment of a ‘safe zone’ in northern Syria, in comments published on Thursday.
No reason was provided for the withdrawal, but officials in Erdogan’s ruling AK Party had said last year the government was considering pulling out amid a row over how to curb growing violence against women.
Shocked motorists and law enforcement watched in horror as the Nissan Altima was launched 120 feet (37 meters) down the highway in Lowndes County, according to police report on the May 24 crash.
The total resident population is up 34.2 per cent since 2010 — an increase of 8.2 million people, of whom 4.8 million are Saudi nationals. Among Saudis, 63 per cent of the population is below the age of 30.
In the first quarter of 2023, the Ministry of Economy imposed fines worth Dhs65.9 million on 137 companies operating in the UAE’s designated non-financial business or professions (DNFBP) sector.
"These provocative and dangerous maneuvers are a source of problems for maritime security," said Mao Ning, a spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, stressing that "the United States must immediately stop these dangerous provocations."