VIDEO: ‘Dead’ woman rushed to hospital after 'banging on coffin' at her own funeral in Peru - GulfToday

VIDEO: ‘Dead’ woman rushed to hospital after 'banging on coffin' at her own funeral in Peru

Doctors inspect Rosa Isabel Cespede Callaca at a hospital in Peru.

Gulf Today Report

A woman's funeral in Peru had a shocking end when the deceased started banging on the coffin just before her burial... because she was still alive.

In an alarming twist on a tragic day, stunned relatives carry Rosa Isabel Cespede Callaca's coffin, opened it and found her staring at them.

Rosa and the coffin were rushed to nearby hospital in the back of a van where she was quickly hooked up to a life support system.

Ashamed medics confirmed that she did have vital signs, but very low ones.

The incident took place in the city of Lambayque.

According to Daily Mail news website, Rosa’s condition improved slightly once on life support system, giving hope for a miracle.

However, in the later part of the day, Rosa's condition rapidly worsened and she died.

A local cemetery caretaker said: The girl opened her eyes and was sweating. I immediately went to the office and called the police.

Videos shared on social media showed police officers carrying the coffin through a crowd to a pickup truck.

The video also showed doctors standing over the open coffin with an unconscious Rose at their feet. Rosa had been in a serious car crash on a road in the Chiclayo-Picsi region which claimed the life of her brother-in-law and seriously injured her nephews.

Rosa Isabel Cespede Callaca is loaded on to a pickup truck.

She too had been declared dead after the accident and her relatives had organized a funeral for her on April 26 in the town of Lambayque.

Her relatives expressed predictable outrage that Rosa had been declared dead and sent to the morgue for a funeral in the first place.

It is believed that doctors at the hospital had taken the coma situation for death.

The authorities are investigating whether staff at the hospital negligently took Rosa off life support, pronounced her dead and sent her to the morgue without proper review to check that she was actually dead.

Rosa’s three nephews, who were injured in the same crash as she, are said to be recovering in hospital but still in a serious condition.

Related articles