Human Rights Watch Executive Director Kenneth Roth attends a meeting. File photo
The longtime leader of Human Rights Watch announced on Tuesday he will step down this summer as executive director after nearly three decades at the helm of one of the world's leading advocacy organisations.
Human Rights Watch Executive Director Kenneth Roth said on Tuesday he would step down at the end of August after running the global rights watchdog for nearly three decades.
Top Russian diplomat warns Ukraine against provoking WWIII
Palestinian shot dead by Israeli forces in West Bank
Roth ran the New York-based group as it shared a Nobel Peace Prize in 1997 for its efforts to ban anti-personnel land mines. The group also pushed to establish the International Criminal Court for prosecuting war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.
"I had the great privilege to spend nearly 30 years building an organization that has become a leading force in defending the rights of people around the world," said Roth, who joined as deputy director in 1987.
During Roth's tenure, Human Rights Watch said it grew from a staff of about 60 with a $7 million budget, to 552 people covering over 100 countries with a nearly $100 million budget.
Roth said he will write a book on his personal experiences about the most effective strategies for defending human rights. He has met with more than two dozen world leaders, countless ministers and made investigative or advocacy trips to more than 50 countries while at Human Rights Watch.
The two leaders spoke just hours after Biden announced plans for a Pentagon task force to review US national security strategy in China and after the new US president announced he was levying sanctions against Myanmar’s military regime following this month’s coup in the southeast Asian country.
The United States will reassert its global role in speaking up for human rights, Biden said, adding that he would work with the international community to get China to protect them.
Members of the public will be able to pay their respects to Lewis on Wednesday at the state capitol rotunda following a ceremony in his honor. A private burial service in Atlanta is scheduled for Thursday.
"In southern Khartoum we are living in terror of violent bombardment, the sound of anti-aircraft guns and power cuts," said 34-year-old resident Sara Hassan by phone. "We are in real hell."
The death toll from Friday's crash was revised down from 288 after it was found that some bodies had been counted twice, said Pradeep Jena. The tally was unlikely to rise, he told reporters. "Now the rescue operation is complete."
The projects, whose progress Sheikh Ahmed reviewed, are part of the first two phases of the Hatta Master Development Plan launched under the directives of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, and the follow up of Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of The Executive Council of Dubai.