Rodrigo Duterte attends a meeting in Manila. File
President Rodrigo Duterte is on quarantine after his exposure to a member of the Malacanang Palace household staff found positive for coronavirus and which explains his absence from the public eye for over a week, his spokesman confirmed on Thursday.
Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles, the acting presidential spokesman, revealed that Duterte’s last exposure to the staff was on Sunday, Jan.30. “The president,” he pointed out, “has since been tested for COVID-19 and while the results of the test came back negative, he is currently observing mandatory quarantine protocols.”
Nograles, however, did not say where the president has been quarantined. Nevertheless, he said that while in isolation, Duterte “continues to work and is in constant communication with his cabinet officers.”
This is to ensure, he explained, that urgent matters are addressed and to monitor the implementation of his directives, particularly with regard to the government’s COVID-19 response. Duterte’s last public appearance was in his two-part taped “Talk to the Nation” address aired on Jan.24 and 25. Since then he has not shown himself in public amid Nograles’ admission that the president also went to the Cardinal Santos Medical Centre in suburban San Juan City, Metro Manila for his “medical checkup.”
In April, the government imposed a ban on the foreign deployment especially of Filipino nurses to help control the spread of the disease. At that time, the Philippines ranked second in Southeast Asia in the number of infections.
"I have to go back to work," said Steven John Cabusao, who walked several kilometres on his first day of work after being confined to his home for 11 weeks.
In an expletives-laden statement he issued in a taped and televised message aired nationwide, Duterte also warned he would impose martial law if the communist rebels failed to stop their attacks on soldiers and policemen protecting government personnel in giving cash and other assistance like food to poor families especially in remote areas throughout the country.
Nations like France and South Korea began resuming face-to-face classes as they got their outbreaks under control, but Philippine authorities see the risk as too great. President Rodrigo Duterte said last month that even if students could not graduate, they needed to stay out of school to fight the spread of the disease.
The details of the incident refer to a report coming from a woman to the Operations Room at exactly (03:15) Friday, stating that a person known to them kidnapped her daughter and there were previous disputes.
Britain, like much of Europe, is suffering from rocketing inflation and stagnant economic growth, raising the prospect of a summer of strikes across the continent.
Civil Defence teams of Sharjah controlled, on Saturday evening, a fire which broke out at a vehicle workshop in the Industrial Area 4 in Sharjah. No injuries were reported.