Bottles of Coca-Cola are pictured at a supermarket. File/ AFP
Gulf Today Report
A Chinese man, 21, died after guzzling 1.5 litre of Coca-Cola in 10 minutes to help cool off in hot weather, Chinese doctors revealed.
According to paramedics, the man’s rapid consumption led to a fatal gas buildup in his body, which starved his liver of oxygen and eventually led to his death.
The man, who was not identified, started experiencing a swollen stomach and severe pain six hours later, which prompted him to visit the Chaoyang Hospital in Beijing, according to the Daily Mail.
The tests carried out revealed that the patient, who had no underlying health issues, had an elevated heart rate, low blood pressure and rapid breathing. CT scans found he had pneumatosis, an abnormal presence of gas, in the wall of his intestine and his portal vein.
This, in turn, had reportedly caused him to suffer a hepatic ischemia, otherwise known as ‘shock liver,’ which is caused by a lack of oxygen to the organ.
Professor Nathan Davies, a biochemist at University College London, told the Daily Mail that the chances of downing 1.5 liters, or a little over three pints, of a normal soft drink would be fatal would be very, very unlikely, I mean unbelievably improbable.
The professor speculated the blame could be a bacterial infection, a known cause of gas build-up inside, rather than the soft drink.
Davies explained that these bacteria can form gas pockets, causing problems similar to those encountered by humans before his death.
A year after his death from COVID-19, residents in the Chinese city of Wuhan say they remain grateful to the doctor who first sounded the alarm about the coronavirus outbreak.
Britain and other European countries must accept some responsibility for the deaths of 39 people, believed to be Chinese nationals, found dead in a refrigerated truck near London, the state-backed Global Times said on Friday.
China's National Health Commission said it had recorded 121 new deaths and 5,090 new coronavirus cases on the mainland on Feb.13, taking the accumulated total infected to 63,851 people.
The Traffic and Patrols Department at Ras Al Khaimah Police’s General Directorate of Central Operations has announced a ban on heavy-duty trucks on the emirate’s internal roads and highways in two morning and evening periods, effective from Sunday.
Congress state President Nana Patole said that the new evidence like demands of Rs250m bribe to release Aryan Khan, has raised "big questions on the role of NCB" and sought a high-level enquiry into the matter.
The flight, operated by Go First, took off for Sharjah at 6:30pm from Srinagar and landed at Sharjah International Airport at 9:30pm UAE time. The flight revives direct air link between the Kashmir Valley and the UAE after 11 years.
In the first case, which took place at 5:00pm, there were 3 Asians, two of whom were rescued while the third, 29, drowned. In the second case, which took place at 6:00pm, an Arab, 30, drowned and was transported by the national ambulance to the Khalifa Hospital..