A man is evacuated after floodwaters continued to rise due to typhoon at Ormoc City on Tuesday. AP
The Philippines is bracing for tropical storm Conson as a strong typhoon on Tuesday slammed into the eastern Philippines, bringing high winds that caused power outages in several provinces.
The state weather service warned on Monday that it could bring strong winds and heavy rains in the central Philippines and parts of the southern tip of the Bicol peninsula in the next 24 hours.
Typhoon Conson carried sustained winds of 120 kilometers (74 miles) per hour with gusts of up to 150 kph (93 mph), first making landfall at the coastal town of Hernani in Eastern Samar province, before hitting the nearby Samar province early Tuesday, the state weather service said.
As of Tuesday morning, the eye of the typhoon was in the vicinity of Masbate province’s Dimasalang town.
"We only have minor damage here, thank God,” Eastern Samar Gov. Ben Evardone said in a text message.
Local officials reported some flooding in Tacloban City.
On Friday, Philippine authorities issued storm warnings for Cagayan and Ilocos Norte provinces on its northern island of Luzon and for sparsely inhabited islands of Luzon's northern coast. There were no immediate reports of flooding or damage.
The UAE stands by the people of the Philippines in these tragic circumstances and commends the Government of the Philippines and its emergency workers for making all possible efforts in providing aid and relief to the victims.
Goni was downgraded from a "super typhoon" as it swept across the southern end of the most populous island Luzon towards the capital Manila, the state weather forecaster said in its latest update.
The Centre also confirmed that it is following the situation around the clock and would continue brief the public on the latest developments, calling on the public, road users and motorists to exercise precautions when driving during rain, and to avoid nearing surface runoffs and pools of rainwater. It also appealed to members of the society to follow the bulletins and reports issued by the NCM and not to circulate rumors.
The multi-millionaire ex-Chancellor and his wife Akshata Murty were last year granted planning permission to build a swimming pool, gym and an adjoining tennis court on farmland at the manor house.
Asad Kaleem, an executive producer at ARY, said that the action means that 4,000 employees at the TV are now without work. He pleaded with the government to reverse its decision and bring the hugely popular ARY back on air.