The experts have previously denounced the presence in Libya of Russian mercenaries, Turkish troops. File photo
The UN Security Council called on Friday for the withdrawal of all foreign forces and mercenaries from Libya "without further delay" in a unanimously approved declaration as demanded in the cease-fire agreement between the country’s warring parties.
It also welcomed the Libyan parliament's approval of a new unified government on Wednesday, which is set to lead the oil-rich country to December elections after a decade of conflict following the removal of dictator Moamer Qadhafi.
Lebanese parliament approves laws on World Bank loans to help poor
Israeli troops detain Palestinian children near Havat Maon outpost
"The Security Council calls on all parties to implement the ceasefire agreement in full and urges Member States to respect and support the full implementation of the agreement," the statement approved by all 15 council members said.
A presidential statement approved by all 15 council members welcomed a key step following the October cease-fire.
Around 20,000 foreign troops and mercenaries remained in Libya at the end of 2020.
According to the global body, around 20,000 foreign troops and mercenaries remained in Libya at the end of 2020, and no withdrawals have been observed since.
"The Security Council calls for full compliance with the UN arms embargo by all Member States, in line with the relevant Security Council resolutions," the text said.
The arms embargo imposed since the NATO-led mission to overthrow Qadhafi has been violated regularly for years, according to UN experts responsible for its implementation.
Their annual report is expected in the coming days.
The experts have previously denounced the presence in Libya of Russian mercenaries, Turkish troops and armed groups made up of Syrians, Chadians and Sudanese."The Security Council recognizes the need to plan for the disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration of armed groups, security sector reform and to establish an inclusive, civilian-led security architecture for Libya as a whole," the statement added.
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte’s announcement that six European Union (EU) countries had agreed to take in some 150 migrants from a rescue ship that Italy had blocked from docking is a welcome development that has helped resolve the latest standoff over immigration to Europe across the Mediterranean.
The statement added that UAE reaffirms its commitment to the United Nations' Security Council resolutions 1970 and 1973 on sanctions and arms embargo.
UN chief Antonio Guterres denounced the "horrendous" attack and demanded an independent investigation, as a divided Security Council failed to condemn the strike.
The aims of the trip include regaining sway with Riyadh over oil prices, fending off Chinese and Russian influence in the region, and nurturing hopes for an eventual Saudi-Israeli normalisation.
Blasts at a Soviet-era dam in the Russian controlled part of southern Ukraine on Tuesday unleashed floodwaters across the war zone, according to both Ukrainian and Russian forces who blamed each other for blowing-up the dam.
Nearly 13,400 people were forced to evacuate as water consumed hundreds of homes around the country, turning some streets into raging rivers of brown water, according to Haiti’s Civil Protection Agency.
Sheikh Hamdan said on Twitter, "We extend our sincere condolences and sympathy to the family, relatives, companions and readers of Khalid Al Qashtini, the Iraqi journalist and writer, and the owner of the creative pen, who enriched our Arab world with his publications. With his departure, the Arab media loses a symbol of creativity.”