All 279 kidnapped Nigerian students released: Governor - GulfToday

All 279 kidnapped Nigerian students released: Governor

Girls-Nigeria-L

Girls who were kidnapped from a boarding school in the northwest Nigerian state of Zamfara, look on after their release in Zamfara, Nigeria. Reuters

All 279 Nigerian students kidnapped from their boarding school in the northern state of Zamfara have been released and are on government premises, the governor of the state said on Tuesday.

“I am happy to announce that the girls are free,” Dr. Bello Matawalle told an AFP journalist. “They have just arrived in the government house and are in good health.”

An AFP reporter saw hundreds of girls wearing hijabs, gathered at the government premises.

Girls-Nigeria-2LGirls are seen after their release in Zamfara, Nigeria. Reuters

Authorities initially said 317 girls were abducted in the raid by hundreds of gunmen on the Government Girls Secondary School in remote Jangebe village on Friday.

But Matawalle said the “total number of female students abducted” was 279.

“We thank Allah they are all now with us.”

School-NigeriaA security man stands by the gate of the Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe town, Zamfara state, Nigeria. AP

Government officials had been in talks with the kidnappers — known as bandits — following Nigeria’s third school attack in less than three months.

A source said “repentant bandits” had been contacted to reach out to their former comrades as part of efforts to free the students.

Heavily-armed criminal gangs in northwest and central Nigeria have stepped up attacks in recent years, kidnapping for ransom, raping and pillaging.


READ MORE

UAE Ambassador Mohamed Al Khaja presents credentials to Israeli President Rivlin

Split from royal life 'unbelievably tough,' Prince Harry tells Oprah Winfrey


The Nigerian military deployed to the area in 2016 and a peace deal with bandits was signed in 2019 but attacks have continued.

In December, more than 300 boys were kidnapped from a school in Kankara, in President Muhammadu Buhari’s home state of Katsina, while he was visiting the region.

The boys were later released but the incident triggered outrage and memories of the kidnappings of 276 schoolgirls by jihadists in Chibok that shocked the world.

Many of those girls are still missing.

The gangs are largely driven by financial motives and have no known ideological leanings.

But there are concerns they are being infiltrated by armed extremists. The extremists’ decade-old conflict has killed more than 30,000 people and spread into neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

Authorities have denied paying any ransom to secure the recent releases, although analysts say this is unlikely and security experts fear that this will lead to an increase in kidnappings in these regions plagued by extreme poverty.

Kidnapping for ransom in Africa’s most populous country is already a widespread national problem, with businessmen, officials and ordinary citizens snatched from the streets by criminals hunting for ransom money.

At least $11 million was paid to kidnappers between January 2016 and March 2020, according to SB Morgen, a Lagos-based geopolitical research consultancy.

Agence France-Presse

Related articles

Other Articles