VIDEO: Harassed for dowry, Ahmedabad woman records video message before committing suicide by jumping into Sabarmati river - GulfToday

VIDEO: Harassed for dowry, Ahmedabad woman records video message before committing suicide by jumping into Sabarmati river


A videograb of the last video shared by Ayesha Khan.

Gulf Today Report

In a gut-wrenching incident, a young woman named Ayesha Khan committed suicide by jumping into the Sabarmati river in Ahmedabad. Before taking her life the woman made a video on her mobile phone, saying that she was taking this step of her own free accord and nobody had forced her to do anything.

The Ahmedabad Police have registered a case of abetment to suicide against her husband Arif, who was arrested on Monday night.

Reports say Arif Babubkhan was held from Rajasthan's Pali district. Khan will be brought to Ahmedabad on Tuesday.

The shocking incident of the 23-year-old committing suicide took place in February.

According to the FIR lodged by her father Liyakatali Makrani at Sabarmati Riverfront (West) police station a day later, Ayesha's husband Arif Babukhan inflicted mental torture on her and told her, "Die if you want to, and send me a video.”

Ayesha's video triggered outrage among netizens who demanded the immediate arrest of Arif Babukhan.

In the video, she reportedly told her parents she did not want her husband in her life anymore and was fed up with her life, according to a report in ABP News.

Ayesha also had a telephonic conversation with her husband Arif before committing suicide.

The fire brigade's rescue team recovered the wife's body and informed the police.

Ayesha also called her husband before committing suicide.

According to the details received, Ayesha was married in the year 2018 to Arif Khan who lives in Rajasthan. After the marriage, Ayesha was harassed by her husband and in-laws over dowry. Ayesha had lodged a complaint against several people including her husband, mother-in-law, and father-in-law at the Vatva police station and she also filed a case of domestic violence in court.

In the video that Ayesha made, she said, "Dear Dad, when will you fight your case? Don't let Ayesha fight because she doesn't want to fight. If Arif wants freedom, then he is free. Let's live our life, this is the opportunity. I am happy, I will meet Allah, I will tell him, where did I go wrong? I got good parents, wonderful friends but something either lacked in me or my fate."

"I have nothing to say now. Understand that the Almighty gave me a short life,” she said in her final video.

She further said, " One thing I learnt from this life is that one should never go with unrequited love and some people are so ill-fated that their love is not fulfilled even after their marriage."

Standing near the Sabarmati river, Ayesha said, "This is a lovely river and I hope it absorbs me, Main hawaaon ki tarah hoon; main behna chaahti hoon… Main khush hoon aaj… Mujhe duaon me yaad karna, kya pata jannat mile na mile (I am like the winds; I want to flow… I am happy today… Remember me in your prayers. Don’t know if I will go to heaven or not).” These were her last words.

Ayesha called her parents before jumping into the river

Ayesha dialled her parents before jumping into the Sabarmati river. When her father asked her about her whereabouts, she replied she was returning home. Her father asked her where she was again, she said she was standing near the river and wanted to jump into it. Her father asked her to calm down and not to take any such step, he even asked her to talk to her mother. Ayesha broke down while speaking to her mother and said, "All that has happened his enough, I am frustrated, I can't tolerate it anymore, He (her husband Arif) wants freedom, I will give him the freedom.”

Her mother tried to console her and said, “Don’t do any such thing as people will think you did anything wrong." Ayesha said, Ï even called Arif, he said I should do whatever I want but before that, I should make a video so police could arrest him. I have made the video and all I want now is to jump from this river. I want to jump."

Her parents kept consoling her and the line got disconnected. This was the last conversation of her life.

Swimmers of the fire service department made every effort to rescue her. They rushed her to a nearby hospital, where she was declared brought dead.

Related articles