A man clears snow near his house in Texas. File
Gulf Today Report
A mother's love for her children transcends all boundaries and she can take on every power on the earth if anything harms her children.
A mother in Texas, who lost her son to the recent cold snap, has sued two power companies for gross negligence.
Her 11-year-old boy died after they lost electricity and heat in their Texas mobile home during last week's freeze.
Maria Pineda has sued Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) and Entergy Corp for $100m, saying they are responsible for the death of her son Cristian.
Cristian was found unresponsive on the morning of Feb.16 at home, where he shared a bed with his 3-year-old brother.
The complaint filed on Saturday accused the defendants of ignoring a Federal Energy Regulatory Commission recommendation following a 2011 freeze to "winterise" the power grid, and were caught "wholly unprepared" when the grid failed last week.
Cristian froze to death "because grid wasn't a priority, and the energy provider made decisions based on profits," said the complaint filed in the Jefferson County District Court.
The family lives in Conroe, Texas, a Houston suburb.
More than 4 million people in Texas lost power and at least two dozen people died after a snowstorm blanketed the state last week and sent temperatures plunging well below freezing.
Pineda's lawyer Tony Buzbee told ABC News he represents seven families who suffered deaths in the storm's aftermath, and more lawsuits against power companies are planned.
A small twin-engine passenger plane crashed in Texas in the United States on Sunday, killing 10 people, officials said.
Menstruating youngsters were permitted only one tampon, or sanitary pad, a day. After that, at least one girl “had no choice but to continue to wear her soiled innerwear” and clothes.
A gunman hijacked a US postal truck and opened fire at random in the US state of Texas Saturday, shooting dead at least five people and wounding many others before dying in a shootout with officers.
This was announced by the Crisis, Disaster and Emergency Management Team in Ajman. The decision has taken effect starting from Tuesday.
120 cultural visa applicants have met eligibility criteria; a majority of them have been issued visas while the remaining are being processed.
Additionally, 1,666 individuals have recovered and 15 people passed away.