italy's ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Luca Attanasio that was killed. AFP
The Italian ambassador to Congo and an Italian carabineri police officer were killed Monday during an attack on a UN convoy in an area that is home to myriad rebel groups, the Foreign Ministry and local people said.
The ambush on the World Food Program convoy that killed Ambassador Luca Attanasio and the officer occurred near Goma, Congo’s eastern regional capital in the territory of Nyrangongo, in North Kivu, Congolese civilians said.
It is the same area, known as the "three antennas,” where two Britons were kidnapped by unidentified armed men in 2018, said Mambo Kaway, president of a local civil society group in the Nyrangongo territory.
"There were five people aboard the vehicle, including the Italian ambassador,” Kaway said. "The driver died after being shot with several bullets, and others were wounded,” he said.
China calls for reset in Sino-US relations
German pupils set to return to schools
New Zealand remembers 185 who died in quake 10 years ago
"The situation is very tense," he added.
The wounded were taken to a nearby UN hospital.
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell informed the bloc’s foreign ministers of the incident at a meeting he is chairing in Brussels and presented his condolences to Italy and the United Nations.
"The news (is) extremely worrying, and we are following the situation closely with the EU delegation" in Congo, EU Commission spokeswoman Nabila Massrali said. She provided no details about those killed or injured.
Congo’s east is home to myriad rebel groups all vying for control of the mineral-rich land.
Liborio Stellino honoured his efforts during his tenure, which contributed to enhancing friendly ties between the two countries in a number of fields.
Italy’s new ruling coalition plans to raise its budget deficit to around 2.3% of economic output next year, analysts said, in a move that would risk reigniting tensions with the European Union (EU).
Matteo Salvini, leader of Italy’s League party and former interior minister, has bad news piling up on him. Things have gone from bad to worse since he brought down his own government
The airport recommended that the residents and visitors use the car parks or valet services when receiving guests at the 'Arrivals' section.
The former PTI leader made the announcement during a press conference in Lahore with several other PTI defectors — including those who left in the aftermath of the May 9 incidents — by his side
Gulf visitors are highly valuable to the UK economy, with over 790,000 Gulf visitors spending £2 billion during their stays in the UK last year.