A surfer carries his board into the water next to a sign declaring a shark sighting on Sydney's Manly Beach, Australia. File/Reuters
A man who went missing while snorkelling off the Australian coast may have been taken by a shark, authorities said on Friday, after a search operation found pieces of diving equipment.
The man went missing late on Thursday while snorkelling near Port MacDonnell, on the country’s south coast, sparking an air and sea search, police said.
The search was later scaled back when rescuers pulled a damaged wetsuit and flippers from the water.
The man’s identity was not disclosed, other than that he was 32 and from nearby Victoria state. Local media reported he had been holidaying with family at the popular surfing and diving spot and they called the authorities when he failed to return.
“We haven’t recovered any remains but there are a few remaining areas of interest that we want to explore, but the search will be scaled down,” the Australian Broadcasting Corp quoted South Australia Police Limestone Coast operations manager Campbell Hill as saying.
A shark had been reported seen in the area the previous day, Hill added, according to the ABC.
The incident would be Australia’s first recorded shark attack of 2021. The country saw a spike in fatal shark attacks in 2020 with eight lives lost, up from no lives lost the previous year, according to the Taronga Conservation Society, which collects shark attack data.
Police were preparing a report for the state coroner.
Australian police on Wednesday said they had apprehended a British suspected drug offender, who tried to flee to Papua New Guinea on a jet ski.
Australian police on Tuesday arrested three men accused of links to Daesh over an alleged plot to attack police stations, embassies and defence facilities in central Sydney. The men — aged 20, 23 and 30 — were arrested
Australia’s national broadcaster went to court on Monday to challenge a police raid on its offices and demand the return of files seized during the controversial operation.
The 53rd draw saw 26 winners share the Dhs1,000,000 second prize, taking home Dhs38,462 each. The top prize of Dhs10,000,000 is still up for grabs in the upcoming Grand Draw on Dec.4, 2021 at
Dubai’s Burj Khalifa wrote on Twitter, “Let us celebrate 50 glorious years of growth, progress and prosperity of our nation as we look forward to the next 50 years!” The Dubai International Airport also marked the national day celebrations at its premises.
On the occasion of UAE’s 50th National Day, the Dubai Crown Prince has come up with an adorable picture of him holding his twins Sheikha and Rashid.
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, and their Highnesses the Rulers of the Emirates, Crown Princes and Deputy Rulers witnessed the official Golden Jubilee celebrations in Hatta on Thursday.