Afghan security forces stand guard near the site of an attack in Kabul, Afghanistan. File/Reuters
Gulf Today Report
Separate attacks in Afghanistan left at least 23 civilians and security forces dead, officials said Thursday, even as Afghan negotiators were in Qatar to resume talks with the Taliban aimed at finding an end to decades of conflict.
In southern Uruzgan province, a suicide car bomber detonated a vehicle full of explosives early Thursday near a military base, killing six security forces, said a provincial council member who was not authorized to speak with the media.
Mohammad Karim Karimi, deputy head of the provincial council in Uruzgan, confirmed the attack on the military base in Tirin Kot, the provincial capital, but couldn’t provide an exact death toll. He said the explosion was so strong it sent shock waves through the city.
In southern Helmand province, at least five civilians were killed and five others wounded in a suspected airstrike late Wednesday on the outskirts of Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital, according to Attaullah Afghan, head of the provincial council. He said the casualties included children and women.
Picture shown is for illustrative purposes only.
Abdul Nabi Elham, provincial governor, said officials were investigating to determine whether the assault was an airstrike or some other type of attack.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for either attack.
In northern Kunduz province, Taliban fighters stormed a military checkpoint killing at least 12 security personnel, said a provincial official who was not authorized to speak with the media.
He said about 10 other security forces were missing and may have been taken into custody by the Taliban during the attack. The official said reinforcements were dispatched to the area outside the provincial capital Kunduz.
Two military vehicles were destroyed and weapons and ammunition from the checkpoint were seized by the insurgents, he added.
Inamuddin Rahmani, spokesman for the provincial police chief in Kunduz, confirmed the Taliban attack.
Afghanistan's Taliban delegation arrives in Doha, Qatar. AP
Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, claimed responsibility for the attack and said Taliban fighters killed around 15 security forces and arrested 11 others.
Mujahid said seven security forces were killed at the checkpoint and eight others from reinforcement units were also killed.
An Afghan negotiating team is in Qatar's capital of Doha to resume talks aimed at finding an end to decades of relentless conflict even as violence has spiked across the country. The stop-and-go talks come amid growing doubt over a US-Taliban peace deal brokered by outgoing President Donald Trump.
The police official blamed the Taliban for the attack who have a strong presence in the area, especially in the Pasaband district. The Taliban have not commented on the attack in Ghor.
Decent progress had been made in Moscow but further talks would be needed, Russian news agencies reported.
The operations, launched on Saturday night, were aimed at foiling attacks planned by the Taliban on Afghan forces, said a senior security official in capital Kabul.
Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai also defended the Taliban's role in recent bloodshed across the country after US President Donald Trump cited an attack that killed an American soldier as his reason for calling off negotiations earlier this month.
Lengthy pandemic school closures have cost students trillions of dollars in lifetime earnings, the World Bank and UN agencies said on Monday, warning that the crisis has worsened since last year.
The Iraqi Security Media Cell said in a post on its official account on Facebook: “With high professionalism and extensive intelligence work, the Federal Intelligence and Investigation Agency in the Ministry of Interior continues to perform its duties, as it was able to uncover a mysterious murder of a burnt and charred man of unknown identity and features, lying on the edge of a river in Al-Haritha district, Basra Governorate.”
Khawla Abdul Rahman Bin Hadda confirmed that the scholarship programmes for outstanding Emirati male and female students come within the framework of the directives of His Highness Dr Sheikh Sultan Bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, to support outstanding students, especially national service graduates.
Prof. Sarah Gilbert, one of the scientists behind the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, is warning that the next pandemic may more contagious and more lethal unless more money is devoted to research and preparations to fight emerging viral threats.