Al Ain Court sentences Asian to death for murder of roommate - GulfToday

Al Ain Court sentences Asian to death for murder of roommate


Photo has been used for illustrative purposes.

Mona Al Badawi / Mohammed Yaseen, Staff Reporters

An Asian was sentenced to death by Al Ain Court for murdering his roommate.

A drunken dispute took place between them in which the convict knifed the victim twice, causing him to bleed to death.

The incident dates back to 2013. The suspect insisted he did not intend to kill the victim, and that during the quarrel, the victim crouched on him, grabbed him by the neck, and hit him with his fist on the face. He added that he grabbed a knife in response, and hit the victim twice.

The Public Prosecution charged the suspect with drinking alcohol, and premeditatedly assaulting the victim, and stabbing him in the chest, with the intention to kill him.

The Al Ain Court of First Instance sentenced the Asian to 15 years in jail, to be followed by deportation, confiscation of the knife used in the crime and paying the legal blood money of Dhs200,000 to the heirs of the victim.

Separately, the Dubai Criminal Court sentenced three Asians to two years in jail each, plus deportation, after they were convicted of attempted murder.  In December 2019, a verbal altercation took place between the victim and the Asians over a public parking lot.

The victim testified that one of the Asians hit him using his hands, while another hit him on his head with a stone, and the third assaulted him using a fire extinguisher and a screwdriver.

A policeman stated when the victim was being taken to the hospital in an ambulance a paramedic discovered a screwdriver in his stomach.

The medical report indicated that the victim was stabbed several times in his stomach causing him a permanent disability of 15%.

Recently, the Dubai Public Prosecution referred an Asian worker, 29, to the Dubai Criminal Court on charges of attempting to murder his colleague with a knife following a brawl that snowballed into a fight.

 The case dates back to January when a brawl erupted between the defendant and the victim that developed into a fight.

 A witness stated that he saw the defendant hiding under the staircase of a building before he saw the victim heading towards him.

 A brawl erupted that developed into a fight with hands and sticks as a result of which the defendant was injured, the witness said.

 “After suffering from injuries and bleeding in the head, the defendant disappeared for some time and was later seen heading to the victim and brandishing a knife, while a number of people were trying to stop him,” the witness added.

 “The defendant, however, managed to reach the victim and stabbed him,” witness said.

 An ambulance arrived and took the victim to the hospital, while the defendant was handed over to a police patrol.

 The defendant confessed to his attempted murder and the court ordered him to be remanded in custody pending prosecution.

Related articles