Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is interviewed in her office at the parliament in Wellington on Wednesday. AP
Up to a quarter of a million children, young people and vulnerable adults were physically and sexually abused in New Zealand's faith-based and state care institutions from the 1960s to early 2000s, a public inquiry revealed on Thursday.
An interim report by the Royal Commission of Inquiry found children, some from as young as nine months old, suffered years of abuse, which included rape and electric shock treatment, by staff at psychiatric and state care facilities, clergy and foster guardians.
The report estimated that up to 256,000 people were abused, accounting for almost 40% of the 655,000 people in care during the period, with most abuse occurring in the 1970s and 1980s.
"The hurt and anguish that has been caused in New Zealand’s history is inexcusable,” said Minister for the Public Service Chris Hipkins, who described the report as a "difficult read." "All children in the care of the state should be safe from harm, but as the testimony sets out all too often the opposite was true."
The report said most abuse survivors were aged between 5 and 17. Most were abused over a five to 10 year period. The abuse included physical assault and sexual abuse, with staff in some psychiatric institutions forcing male patients to rape female patients.
Minister For Public Service Chris Hipkins talks to the media in Wellington. Reuters
It also included the improper use of medical procedures including electric shocks on genitals and legs, improper strip searches and vaginal examinations, and verbal abuse and racial slurs. "Sometimes I'd have shock treatment twice a day," said Anne, who at 17 was placed in a psychiatric institution in 1979.
"The records (said) I went blind, then they gave me shock treatment again that night," she told the inquiry. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced the Royal Commission in 2018 saying the country needed to confront "a dark chapter" in its history, and later expanded it to include churches and other faith-based institutions.
The report said the likelihood of children and young people abused in faith-based or religious homes ranges from 21% to 42%. It found the number of people passing through care institutions was six times higher than previously estimated.
"On any assessment this is a serious and long-standing social problem that needs to be addressed," the report said, adding there was evidence that abuse continued today.
The Public Prosecution on Monday published an awareness video on its social media accounts, coinciding with the Emirati Children’s Day.
Punjab Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar told reporters that 27-year-old suspect, Sohail Shahzad, has been identified through scientific investigation into the case using polygraphic and DNA tests.
The application “Mera Bacha Alert” would be connected with Pakistan Citizen Portal so that the progress on any case, including the recovery of the child, could be monitored, a press release issued by the PM Office Media Wing said.
"Say NO to child labour. Children belong in schools and loving homes. They are the future and it's our responsibility to safeguard and empower them. Let's lend a helping hand to children in need, our small efforts can make a big difference to their lives
Furthering its commitment to promoting books and literacy, Sharjah Book Authority (SBA) is organising the National Libraries Summit on November 8 – 9, 2021 at its headquarters in Sharjah. The two-day summit will be held in conjunction with the 40th Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF 2021) under the theme ‘Visibility, Engagement, Impact, and Collaboration’, and convene 50 national library directors and senior staff from 20 countries in Europe, North America, Africa and the MENA region.
Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Chaudhry Fawad Hussain has said that their government is making special arrangements for Sikhs around the world to attend the upcoming celebrations of the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak which will be held in Kartarpur, Punjab, Pakistan.
The envoys issued a highly unusual joint statement on Monday saying the continued detention of Parisian-born philanthropist and activist Osman Kavala "cast a shadow" over Turkey.