Health workers are waiting to conduct COVID-19 coronavirus tests on staff at Pudong Airport in Shanghai. AFP
Hundreds of flights at one of China's busiest airports were cancelled on Tuesday as Shanghai raced to bring a local coronavirus outbreak under control.
Health officials have tested thousands of staff at Pudong International Airport since a small clutch of Covid-19 cases in the city was linked to several cargo handlers.
China — where the virus first emerged late last year — has largely brought the pandemic under control through travel restrictions and lockdowns, but it is now battling a number of domestic outbreaks in different cities.
Shanghai has reported seven local infections linked to the airport this month, with most cases found in the past few days.
The outbreak has sparked plans to give high-risk workers at the travel hub an experimental vaccinate China has already been providing to state employees, international students and essential workers heading abroad since July.
On Tuesday, figures from data services firm VariFlight showed that over 500 flights out of Pudong Airport had been called off — nearly half the day's scheduled flights.
Almost half of scheduled inbound flights were also cancelled.
More than 17,700 people had been swabbed by Monday morning in the drive to test airport cargo staff, state news agency Xinhua reported.
Nearly half of all scheduled flights were also cancelled at Tianjin international airport, a northern port city also testing around 2.6 million people to try and bring a local cluster under control.
Tianjin reported five local cases on Saturday and another on Tuesday.
China has been rolling out mass-screening campaigns in response to the emergence of local Covid-19 cases, in some cases collecting test samples from entire districts or cities.
Authorities have in recent days shifted their focus to imported frozen food and other inbound shipments, which have been blamed for a resurgence of local infections.
The coronavirus has now infected more people in China than were sickened in the country by the SARS outbreak in 2002-2003. The virus has killed 170 people. The number of confirmed cases jumped to 7,711, surpassing the 5,327 in mainland China from SARS.
The city reported 31 new cases on Wednesday while officials urged residents not to leave Beijing, with fears growing about a second wave of infections in China, which had largely brought its outbreak under control.
In total 3,042 people have died from the disease in China, the National Health Commission said, with another 143 cases, up from 139 in the previous day.
The official said that after going through the details of the incident, the Punjab police have decided to recommend the federal and provincial government that this “dangerous game” be banned. “It is necessary to ban the game to prevent violent acts.”
Police chief said the incident was a result of "previous enmity" among neighbours. He gave no further details but media reports said a 16-year-old relative of the perpetrators had killed himself by jumping in front of a train after the married 21-year-old woman rejected his advances.
The meeting addressed recent developments, in light of the latest Houthi attacks on civilian facilities in the UAE, which threaten regional and international security. Zuzana denounced the attacks and all forms of Houthi's terrorism and threats to regional security and stability.
The charitable initiative, launched to distribute surplus food to those in need, signed a total of 30 agreements with authorities and establishments last year to facilitate the safe distribution of surplus food to beneficiaries in the emirate.