Mark Esper gives remarks during the 19th annual Sept.11 observance ceremony at the Pentagon. File / Reuters
Gulf Today Report
President Donald Trump on Monday said Defence Secretary Mark Esper had been "terminated" and that Christopher Miller, Director of the National Counterterrorism Centre, will be acting Secretary of Defence starting immediately.
"Mark Esper has been terminated," Trump said on Twitter. "I am pleased to announce that Christopher C. Miller, the highly respected Director of the National Counterterrorism Centre (unanimously confirmed by the Senate), will be Acting Secretary of Defence, effective immediately."
The firing of Esper, who had clashed with Trump over his suggestion of using military personnel to quash civic unrest, comes a week after the US presidential election.
Trump, who is pursuing so far flimsy claims of election fraud in the courts, has only until Jan.20 before he has to leave office and Biden takes over.
Defense Secretary Mark Esper made known his regret at having accompanied Trump to the presidential photo opportunity in front of St. John's on the day of the Lafayette Square confrontations.
The split between the president and his Pentagon chief came amid heightened tensions with Tehran following a US drone strike that killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force. Trump had twice warned that he would hit Iranian cultural sites if Tehran retaliates against the US.
Many experts say the effort is overdue, given military advances in China during the past two decades as America focused on counter-terrorism operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and elsewhere.
Derek Chauvin, who was dismissed from the police department with three fellow officers the day after the fatal encounter, was arrested on third-degree murder and manslaughter charges for his role in Monday's death of 46-year-old George Floyd.
Flights to six destinations will resume on Friday, and on Saturday services to Boston, Houston and San Francisco will return to Boeing 777 planes after having been changed to Airbus A380s, the Dubai-based carrier said in a statement.
Regarding the news on the suspension of some flights to certain US airports due to 5G deployment, the Telecommunications and Digital Government Regulatory Authority (TDRA) has clarified that this issue is exclusively related to the relevant US airports.
According to a 12-month study of traveller reviews and ratings over the period between Nov.1, 2020 and Oct.31, 2021, Dubai got the highest rank and was the most-favoured spot all around the world.
Nineteen-year-old Zara Rutherford landed back at Kortrijk-Wevelgem Airport in Belgium after flying 51,000 km (32,000 miles) over 52 nations https://flyzolo.com/route since her Aug. 18 departure in the world's fastest microlight aircraft.