US-based Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen at his home in Saylorsburg, US. File photo/Reuters
Turkish authorities on Tuesday issued detention warrants for 110 people, most of them active duty soldiers, in a move against supporters of a Muslim preacher the government accuses of organising a failed coup in 2016, a state broadcaster reported.
The operation was the latest in a four-year-old crackdown targeting the network of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen. He denies involvement in the July 2016 putsch, in which some 250 people were killed.
Authorities launched the operation from the coastal province of Izmir and sought suspects across a total of 26 provinces, broadcaster TRT Haber said. No further details were available.
Greece calls new Turkish survey mission a threat to region
Tajikistan leader Rakhmon wins election with over 90%
Since the abortive putsch, some 80,000 people have been held pending trial and about 150,000 civil servants, military personnel and others sacked or suspended. More than 20,000 people had been expelled from the Turkish military.
Rights groups and Turkey’s Western allies have criticised the scale of the crackdown, saying the government was using it as a pretext to quash dissent.
The government has denied the accusation, saying the measures are necessary for national security.
Turkey has ordered the arrest of 176 serving military personnel over suspected links to the network which Ankara says was behind an attempted coup three years ago, the Istanbul chief prosecutors’
Turkey has ordered the detention of 133 military personnel over suspected links to a network Ankara accuses of organising an attempted coup in 2016, the state-run Anadolu news agency said on Tuesday.
Turkey has ordered the arrest of 128 military personnel over suspected links to the network accused by Ankara of orchestrating an attempted coup in 2016, state-run Anadolu news agency said on Tuesday.
Ahead of the talks starting Monday in Paris, many countries have said a goal of the treaty should be "circularity" - or keeping already-produced plastic items in circulation as long as possible.
During the visit on Sunday, Filippo Grandi thanked the Egyptian government for having received thousands of Sudanese and other people fleeing the "terrible violence" in Khartoum, Xinhua news agency reported.
The accident took place on Sunday evening between the towns of Sesto Calende and Arona, the BBC reported citing Italian news outlets. Italy's fire service said 19 people were safe but a search continued for the two missing persons.