Picture shown is for illustrative purposes only.
Taliban insurgents set off a truck bomb on Tuesday in an attack on Afghan army commandos, killing three people and wounding 41, the defence ministry said, despite steps towards peace talks with the US-backed government.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the blast in the northern province of Balkh, saying on Twitter they had attacked the commandos.
The defence ministry said two members of the commando force were killed and six wounded, while the rest of the casualties were civilians.
The blast came as a Taliban delegation visited the Pakistani capital to discuss a peace process underpinned by an agreement between the Taliban and the United States on the withdrawal of US forces in exchange for Taliban security guarantees and a promise to open power-sharing talks with the government.
But despite what many Afghans see as the best hope for peace since the latest phase of Afghanistan's war began in 2001, the level of violence has remained high.
Diplomats and officials say the violence is sapping the trust needed for talks.
The government has asked repeatedly for a ceasefire before negotiations start in Qatar's capital of Doha, a request the Taliban have refused.
Diplomats say Pakistan, which has long had influence over different Afghan factions, including the Taliban, has in recent months been pushing for a reduction in violence.
It was not immediately clear what issues would be discussed in the talks between the Taliban and the Pakistanis in Islamabad.Reuters
Sunday evening's attack took place at a military centre where at least 150 members of the Afghan army and intelligence wing were stationed, according to government officials and the Taliban.
District chief Fazeluddin Muradi says that the insurgents' attack also wounded at least eight pro-government fighters, during several hours of battle late Friday in the area of Nahrin.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for detonating the bomb near the National Directorate of Security (NDS) compound in Ghazni city during Sunday morning's rush hour.
The 24-year-old had been wounded at Place de la Bastille by "a police baton." He suffered a broken nose and injured forehead, and had been taken to hospital.
It is believed that the fire brigade arrived at the scene within 6 minutes after the operations room was alerted about a fire in the mall.
"This may be due to a genetic condition of partial loss of pigmentation in feathers known as leucistic," the Galapagos National Park said.
The approval of the loans and exemptions, which is part of the 2020 housing packages of Dhs15.5 billion, coincides with the celebrations of the 49th National Day, in light of the keenness of the UAE’s leadership to maintain social stability and ensure decent living standards for citizens...