The body of Valnir Mendes da Silva, 62, lies on a sidewalk in the Arara slum where he died in Benfica, North Zone, Rio de Janeiro. Reuters
Valnir da Silva died on the streets of a poor Rio de Janeiro neighbourhood on Saturday. His body lay on the sidewalk for 30 hours, according to relatives and neighbours.
Although they may never be sure, they suspect the 62-year-old was an uncounted victim of the coronavirus outbreak tearing through Rio's marginalised communities and stretching public services past their limits.
As much of Asia and Europe pass the worst of the pandemic, Brazil is hurtling toward its peak, with more than 17,000 already dead. Latin America's biggest country passed Britain this week in a grim toll of the most confirmed cases after Russia and the United States.
Deaths in Rio state trail only the more populous Sao Paulo. The outbreak is filling up intensive care units and thinning out the ranks of emergency services.
Gravediggers wearing protective suits bury a coffin during the outbreak of the coronavirus in Sao Paulo. Reuters
Ricardo Moraes, a Reuters photojournalist in Rio, was covering a police operation early on Sunday when he heard reports about the Corpse in the nearby favela of Arara.
When he arrived at the scene around 7am, Moraes found Silva lying on the same spot where locals said he had died on Saturday morning — sandwiched between a row of parked cars and a small soccer pitch.
A group of locals at a nearby bar said Silva's life began to fall apart after the death of his wife a few months back, and he was soon living on the street.
On Saturday, when Silva complained that he could not breathe, the locals said they called an ambulance for him, but he died before it arrived.
Some residents thought he had died from COVID-19, the respiratory diseases caused by the coronavirus, but nobody was certain. The disease entered Rio via wealthier residents returning from vacation in Europe, but it has since spread into poorer neighborhoods.
Relatives react during the burial of 64-year-old Raimunda Conceicao Souza, who died from the coronavirus disease, at Vila Formosa cemetery, Sao Paulo. Reuters
The ambulance arrived around 4pm on Saturday, locals said, but left without the body. Paramedics put his cause of death as cardiac arrest and another unknown cause, according to the death certificate seen by Reuters.
In a statement, the city ambulance service said it was not responsible for removing the corpse. They did not say whether Silva had been tested for COVID-19.
The next morning, Silva's stepson Marcos Vinicius Andrade da Silva, 26, tried to find another authority to pick up the body.
He said he spoke with police officers on patrol, who alerted colleagues at the 21st Civil Police station nearby, to no avail.
A civil police spokeswoman said they only take charge of removing Corpses in criminal cases.
After spending the day on the phone, the stepson said a funeral team arrived finally at 5pm on Sunday.
"We were very relieved that they had taken him away... but also very sad about what happened," he said.
Da Silva was buried at a ceremony with four people, including Marcos and his mother, in attendance.
“Some Pakistanis have also died in other states,” said Pakistan embassy’s spokesperson Zoobia Masood. “We are still collecting information about how this disease has affected the Pakistani-American community.”
Shortages of critical equipment led to fierce competition among buyers from Europe, the US and elsewhere. A regional leader in Paris described the scramble to find masks a “worldwide treasure hunt.” Gov. Andrew Cuomo warned that New York could run out of ventilators in six days.
The health ministry said 4,313 people who tested positive for the virus in hospital had died as of 1600 GMT Friday while there were 41,903 confirmed cases as of 0800 GMT Saturday, up 3,735.
Pakistan also reported 4,734 new virus cases, raising its overall infections to 93,983. With the latest 97 virus-related deaths, the highest 24-hour increase to its fatalities, as authorities urged volunteers to motivate people to adhere to social distancing regulations to contain the spread of the virus.
With the Hajj Committee announcing full refunds of the fees for the ensuing Hajj 2020 season, the pilgrimage dreams of thousands of Muslim faithful are shattered.
The group were travelling through Badakshan province to assist security forces in the area, officials said. A local commander was among the fatalities, provincial governor's spokesman Sanaullah Rohani told the media.