A man walks past a makeshift memorial for medical workers set up outside the St. George Hospital in Saint Petersburg. AFP
A fire Tuesday morning at St. George Hospital in St. Petersburg killed five coronavirus patients who were on ventilators, Russian emergency officials said.
The unnamed emergency officials spoke to the state Tass new agency.
The fire broke out in an intensive care unit and was put out within half an hour. It could have been caused by a faulty ventilator, the Interfax news agency reported, citing anonymous sources.
Police in St. Petersburg, Russia's second-largest city, have launched a criminal investigation into the fire.
It was not the first deadly fire in a coronavirus hospital in Russia. On Saturday, a fire in the Spasokukotsky Hospital in Moscow killed one patient.
Russia has reported more than 220,000 confirmed coronavirus cases and 2,009 deaths - numbers that international health officials say significantly undercount the true toll of Russia's outbreak. Treating coronavirus patients has put a strain on the country's vastly outdated health care infrastructure.
The fire at Power Station No. 27 broke out around 11:00am on Thursday around 20 kilometres (13 miles) from Moscow.
Russia's defence ministry said on Tuesday that fourteen seamen have died in a fire on a deep submersible.
Chinese President Xi Jinping appears on Friday as guest of honour at Russia’s showcase economic forum, as the two neighbours present a united front in the face of shared troubles with the US.
Individuals and corporate teams can simply download the Relay by FOCP app, walk at their own pace, and win exciting prizes.
Winner of Sharjah International Award for Refugee Advocacy and Support will be announced on World Humanitarian Day (August 19), at a live streaming ceremony on The Big Heart Foundation's social media platforms
The flag-hoisting ceremony was also held at the Pakistan Consulate General in Dubai on the occasion of the 74th Independence Day. The ceremony was held in a manner keeping in view the local laws on social gatherings due to COVID-19.